Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanx heaps for replying guys... well 'I'm in melbourne and I had this car during winter......I also drive a lot....it has been about nearly 4 months since i bought the car and i have already done nearly 5000km.. the car has done 190,000 km atm and has no oil leaks....smoke out of the car seems to be normal to me

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Proper synthetic is double to triple the price. Not all full synthetic are FULL synthetic, there only semi. Eg castrol edge 5w-30
    Im not saying get homebrand oil or something. But id spend around the $30-$35 dollar mark. And just service regularly!
    If you every got your car serviced at Honda they use there semi synthetic oil unless you specify other wise!

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Contemplating if i should use 5-30 myself. I hear a lot of people against it and a lot for it. Whats the deal? And Benefits? And why do ppl go 5-40 in winter and 10-40 in summer?
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by eLtrix View Post
    Contemplating if i should use 5-30 myself. I hear a lot of people against it and a lot for it. Whats the deal? And Benefits? And why do ppl go 5-40 in winter and 10-40 in summer?
    The 1st number or the number with the W after it is the volocity of the oil at start up. You want the oil thinner in colder weather. But 10W is good for -7 degrees or so.

the 2nd is the oils velocity at running temp said to be 100 degrees

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    thinner is better for cold start protection, gets everywhere quickly

but if it's too hot thin oil can break down and stop protecting

hence the different viscosities in summer and winter
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Ahh okay. Well its summer soon so i guess i should just stick with the 10-40 for now and switch to 5-30 in the winter next year. Even though melb is pretty retarded in terms of weather conditions.
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    other wya round

thicker oil in hotter weather
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    Proper synthetic is double to triple the price. Not all full synthetic are FULL synthetic, there only semi. Eg castrol edge 5w-30
    Im not saying get homebrand oil or something. But id spend around the $30-$35 dollar mark. And just service regularly!
    If you every got your car serviced at Honda they use there semi synthetic oil unless you specify other wise!
    Castrol Edge uses at least group 3 synthetic base, no mineral oil in there.
    - if they dont use group 3 or higher, they cant legally call it "full synthetic"

and they dont cost "3x" as much as you claim.

semi-syn castrol magnetec 5w-30 is almost $40 dollars, valvoline durablemd semi synthetic is almost $60, while Penrite HPR5 is only $50 and is group3 synthetic just to name 1.

Im using group 5 racing grade synthetic oil thats like $60 for 5 litres from the US, not that expansive.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I also use American oil and get Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 for $70 for 6 quarts. But if you buy the cheaper oil from the same importers your looking around $25 for 6 quarts.

Also google castrol edge fake synthetic

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    if ur dumb enough to run castrol u deserve the early engine failure you will get... as for price point. 30-35 isnt gonna cut it in most weights for a decent oil. eg. HPR15 (what i would recommend if you were up here in QLD) retail hovers around the $40 mark. being in VIC Probs best to be running a 10 weight instead. unless ur tracking it, HPR 10 will do the job. if you are hitting the track, worth your while going to a penrite racing blend or mobil, royal purple etc.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    10-40 is fine year round. We don't get freezing cold winters and it's fine for summer too.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    I also use American oil and get Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 for $70 for 6 quarts. But if you buy the cheaper oil from the same importers your looking around $25 for 6 quarts.

Also google castrol edge fake synthetic
    I used usdm Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 from GLLuricants..... It's a group 3 mix base oil just like the Castrol edge sport

Don't get me wrong, i loved that oil, but that's down to its addictive package. The base oil for USDM mobil 1 it is still majority hydro-cracked group 3, just like Castrol edge sport. unless you are going to the high temp range like 0w-40 where more group 4 is needed.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 09-10-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars