Page 146 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4696136143144145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,752 of 1836
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    200 horse max on the SOHC if oem. Then you start snapping rods.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    200 horse max on the SOHC if oem. Then you start snapping rods.
    some have been lucky to push more than 220hp on stock block with arp head studs, but i think thats just asking for more trouble... so long as u dont push more than 200hp with X amount of psi, than most ppl are sweet...

though once u go forged items more power is definate the go, or the cheaper route Vitara rods+piston, 300hp plus is achievable with this setup which in my book is a winner for the price compared to building up a boosted b16 or b18c
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic GLi
    Hmmm, yeah i heard it's not that easy building a D, but i have access to the tools and some type of help as i'm a first year apprentice! Not really looking to build a 'Monster' D-series motor, just a daily with a little bit of kick? Also, keeping this N/A!

Was originally going to put a B18, but now i don't know, just decided to change my mind Haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    Want A Jazz
    be different half the fun (imo) running a D. Plus the engines are everywhere because of all the Bswap/Kswap people hell if i could afford it i'd H-swap my CRX
    . h i t o r i k o .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic GLi
    Pretty much why i wanna do a D swap Hitoriko!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Rods are good for 200HP safely. Any more and you either need to shotpeen, cryogenically treat or replace with forged items.

Pistons are good for about 7,500-8,000 RPM. Once you hit 8,000+ the landings start to fail somewhat. Same as above. Shotpeen, cryo or replace.

Stress on the bolts is more from RPM than power. OE ones are generally fine though but if you're going 8,000-9,000 RPM with a 90mm stroke then the stress on the bolts is quite huge. If you're sticking 7,500 or below then I'm sure most bolts will be fine if they haven't been re-used and if they have been installed properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    None :(
    So just bought an ej8. It's been sitting for some time (10 months plus). Filled it up with fuel. 98 from shell. Anyway it idles crazy low. I'm talking 1000 or less. Has stalled once but also revs amazingly slowly. Will crawl along until about 4000 rpm and will run great. Have not reset the ecu but will try tomorrow. Could it just be the old fuel? Any quick tricks?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Maybe run a little injector cleaner. But idling at 1000 isn't bad, should probably only be 750-900? Look under the bonnet, there may be a sticker than indicates what the idle should be.

Give the car a full service. Flush and replace all the fluids.

And have you driven a SOHC D before? They all feel like sh!t under 4,000 that's when they start to rev out nicely.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yeah it's scary gutless. If I stop at the lights it will idle bullshit slow. Take off and it literally crawls will take 20-30 seconds to get to 60. The minute I shift into second it drops right back down and takes forever to get back up to revs. Once it's at 4000 plus runs way better.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    ^^^ Change your spark plugs!

D-Series with snail for win!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Compression? Yeah do plugs too at least clean them

Member Array
    Car:
    Got it booked in for monday. Calling the mechanic I told him the issue and that it was a d16y and he was like "it's been sitting hasn't it" which it has. He thinks it will be fuel filter and o2 sensor. Old fuel will have almost no bang left too so he's giving it a service and cleaning the intake sensors. He said he will clean out all the sensors and hoses as part f the service at no extra cost. Laughing.