Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1

Rolling stop in neutral?

Hey just been wondering for awhile
    Is it any bad rolling stop from say 60 and go to neutral and brake to a stop? I just wanna ask because my mum who sometimes want to take my car does that to stop. I dunno where i heard this before but it damages the diff if you do this.
    any help will be appreciated
    cheers
    "A good tunning car has to be something you can take out to the streets. The car must be fun, fast, safe on all road condition "
    Keiichi Tsuchiya~

(IMO)
    you should always keep the car in gear and apply the clutch just as you approach a standstill - keeping the car in gear ofcourse. Its safer , and puts less load on your brakes and keeps the car in balance.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    hard to convince my mum though, shes the one that taught me how to drive lol
    though i never roll in neutral
    "A good tunning car has to be something you can take out to the streets. The car must be fun, fast, safe on all road condition "
    Keiichi Tsuchiya~

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Just make sure the clutch isn't being held in while coasting to a stop or you'll wear the thrust bearing prematurely

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    baaaad to do that

it doesn't save fuel

it doesn't save brakes

it's not as safe if you need to accelerate for some reason
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

easier to just let the car roll to a stop in gear, so downshift every so often.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    I always geardown till second, i dont drop it to first. But my car is pretty loud, and its pops on the blip so everyone looks. But yea i feel like im so over killing it.When ya do make sure you match to save your clutch.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18C7
    that's a bad habit and I guess hard to break once it becomes second nature ..

show her these posts and politely ask or persuade her to break the habit .

personally , having a lightened flywheel helps heaps since the revs do go down quicker promoting you to change gears .

an easy way of downshifting is provided your going a little over 70 in gear 5 , drop to forth when under 60 and drop to 3rd when going 40 .. anything under that speed you can drop it again one last time to 2nd or go into neutral and stop using minimal braking . going down a gear during these speeds is ideal because the engine speed matches well to the actual speed your going with minimal jerking if you shift smooth

I barley ever use my breaks when it comes to normal driving because of how quick the revs drop , hence saving brake life ! if needed so I'll apply it but gearing up is just as important as gearing down .. hope that sort of helps , all the best to your mum
    Last edited by joeyybruh; 09-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    " MY VTECC GOES BWAHHHHHHHH BAHHHHHHH BWA BWA BWAAHHHHHHH "

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    she'll be right, not a big issue,
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Come on fellers, if you want to pretend your Fangio, driving a 1950s Mercedes F1, going back through the gears at every stop, by all means do so, it's fun, but please don't suggest "normal" people should do so. There is no good reason for normal folk to wear out their clutches & gear boxes, playing games.

Hell we stopped doing it on the race track once we got some decent friction material.

You can't brake with maximum efficiency, while your mucking around with all that heel & toe stuff. Even at Bathurst by the 60s, in the F1 Brabhams at the bottom of conrod, we would brake in top, all the way down to 70MPH, then change straight to second gear.

We did have to go back to the old way, gears helping brakes, when the GT HOs & the Monaros came out, but the manufacturers soon learnt to put brakes on their toys. In 68, in the 500, I even had to do all the stopping on gears, for the last 13 laps, when the thing had used all the fluid in the silly little split reservoir on the master cylinder, chasing up the worn pads.

In the S I use plenty of gears, in the twisty stuff, but always with the thought that brakes are for stopping, gears are for accelerating, & keeping the thing in the power band. Fooling around with gears is for enthusiasts to reduce the boredom, when earning a living stops you being in those twisty bits for the moment. It is not for mothers driving to the shops. Hell I think she's doing great, driving a manual in this day & age.
    Last edited by Hasbeen; 09-11-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    i didn't say that

i said to just leave it in gear instead of N.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    pics of mum
    part time potato