Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ...I also dont think a 17 inch tyre would fit in the boot...and I like a full size spare.

Also why are the 17's for sale...? They look nice wheels.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I'm not sure if you've read the whole review. Or even what your looking for in a tyre. That review basically took budget and category into consideration, which I would think most people would as well, as compared to the review below, as they even had tyres from the "extreme" performance in the review, and like Nat mentions, a whole different price range. Nitto Invos are good tyres, if you read the review completely, you'll find they had average for the class dry grip (.91g which is still quite a bit) and decent feedback, but more importantly are cheap and quiet. The ones that did better were either great in dry and sucked in the wet, or had terrible road noise and worse ride comfort. Wear rating of 280 means they'll last a while as well.

Again, I have no idea what your looking for in a tyre. I just know when I went to Conti Sport Contact 3, the ride was a tad firmer but the road noise was a lot louder and that annoys the shit out of me. The extra grip provided didn't really help much on the road anyway, so I would have preferred better noise isolation. My CL9 doesn't feel as luxury now that it's so damn loud. The Invo's are cheap, quiet, grip decently and have a fair wear rating, which is why I recommend them.

Also note that your Yoko DB were GT tyres, the lowest of the 5 summer tyre category. The Invo's are Max performance category, for the 2nd highest under the extreme but above the high and ultra high. Even the worst Max (from a named brand) would out grip a GT tyre, so the Invo would have way more grip than your Yoko and Maxxis (not sure which model you have).

Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    this one is a much better review:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10

but the first (Michelin PSS around $550 each for 18"), second (AD08 around $600 each) and third tyres are not cheap in Australia.
    Yeah, pricing is a killed for the top winner, which is why they're the winners. Also note that some of the tyres were Extreme category, which is more for the weekend warriors who will take their cars to the track (e.g. the Kumhos were KU36 which are like semi slicks, popular here for the cheap pricing and great dry grip, but have crap wet grip and wear really fast). They also need to warm up to provide their best, something not mentioned in the review, and for semi-slicks, it's not easy to warm them up.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    ...I also dont think a 17 inch tyre would fit in the boot...and I like a full size spare.

Also why are the 17's for sale...? They look nice wheels.

Cheers
    When you go up in rim size, you go down in tyre profile, so the actual diameter will actually stay the same or very similar. So there should be no problem fitting it in the boot. I mean, if you didn't keep the diameter the same, your performance would go backwards and your speedo would be off, which would make it unfeasible.

P.S ever heard of an edit button?
    P.P.S Incase you didn't know, you get rep here from other members + rep you, not through post count so there's no point in spamming. Not that I'm saying you were...
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 08-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    From what I found, if you use hard long-wearing tyres and do a lot of aggressive corners, the wear rate ends up being higher because the rubber starts to chunk off in small bits when you corner hard. I had one set of really hard tyres with a wear rating of over 300 where they wore out at the shoulder in just 22,000km!

Since then, I've gone for grippy tyres (Bridgestone RE001) with a wear rating of 220 and even with my same driving behaviour have gotten 40,000km while still staying with legal thread depth. The softer tyre with more grip ensures you don't grind down the tyres in the corner which reduces wear.

If you were driving only highway kms (straight line), then the harder compound will obviously last longer than the softer one since it comes down to just regular wear mechanism and less of scrubbing which mostly happens in the corners.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Thanks again all...appreciate the feedback. I have 17's of course (not 16's I mentioned above). I opted for same again - Maxxis A35 Asymetric and they are very nice to drive. This time 40psi and a wheel alignment that is less aggressive than stock. $195 per corner fitted and balanced. I run Maxxis on my Discovery also and they are an excellent manufacturer with great prices. They are only slightly noiser than the original Yoko Advan Decibels. They are grippier (slightly) int he wet and the same in the dry. Feel is excellent.

Thanks again

Edit...no I wasnt spamming or post counting...hey I could have posted this Edit as a separate post! Cheers

Edit 2...if you search my posts you will see I became a member in 2009/10 because I was looking at a (my first) Honda. I have only posted here and there since, with not much to add given I am not customizing it and its covered under a 5 year warranty. I am not here for ratings, but happy that there is a system that caters for those who are. In the meantime I appreciate all the posts above and assistance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Lolz, no worries. I normally see people spamming in other forums trying to increase post count, but using edit is a lot nicer.

But yeah, I've not much knowledge in regards to Maxxis. The only thing I've heard about them is that their budget tyres much like Bob Jane branded ones. Not saying that their going to be bad, just that I've not heard of anything in regards to them. They seem to have been around for a while though, so they should be decent, unlike some of the newer cheap chinese/korean crap that are real safety hazards. Although at $195 per corner, I reckon you could have got some better tyres online for similar pricing.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Go for 235/45/17s.Popular size for Falcons and Commos.cheaper too because it's a common size.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    Go for 235/45/17s.Popular size for Falcons and Commos.cheaper too because it's a common size.
    the weight load rating won't be 98. the highest for 235 45 17 is 97.

although 1 seems indifferent, in the eyes of cops and insurance companies, it's not roadworthy to have anything lower than the factory load rating.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    the weight load rating won't be 98. the highest for 235 45 17 is 97.

although 1 seems indifferent, in the eyes of cops and insurance companies, it's not roadworthy to have anything lower than the factory load rating.
    Ah ok.didn't check the load rating so yes could be a problem even though it's only "1".

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Lolz, come to think about it, what was the load rating on the CL9? Looking at getting wider tyres next time so need to make sure 235 40 18 have the right load.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    CL9 min load rating is 91. 225 45 17 load 91Y.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The minimum load rating allowed is what is stated on the tyre placard on the driver's door, not what the stock tyres were rated at. Anyone knows what the tyre placard says on the CU2?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    The minimum load rating allowed is what is stated on the tyre placard on the driver's door, not what the stock tyres were rated at. Anyone knows what the tyre placard says on the CU2?
    CU2 luxury only has 235 45 18 load rating 98 on the placard. manual book says not to use 17" on the CU2 luxury due the different diameter.

I would think that the CU2 base model has 225 50 17 load rating 98, but someone with a base model should be able to confirm.

I have both CU2 stock oem base 17" and luxury 18" wheels / tyres at home, they both have 98 load rating.