Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

is HID for cl9 foglight too hot?

hi guy

i remembere reading a thread about HID for cl9 foglight being too hot? that the foglight housing is too small and there is no breather hole on the back so the foglights get very hot with HID and when you drive into a puddle of water you can crack your fog light lences ?

does anyone know or experanced this ?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Accord Euro
    I have 55W HIDs in my Fog lights (pre facelift CL9). Yes they can get hot but nothing too extreme to damage the housing or anything as such. And no, I don't think you could ever crack your fog lights that way seeing as unfortunately, i've driven over a few potholes after prolonged use of the fog lights and mine are fine So you're fine mate

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Hey guy,

No, HID's do not run hotter.

55w is not more than your halogen globe's power draw anyway
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Good quality HID should not run too hot... dunno about the cheap ebay ones.. some of the cheap ballasts could actually burst into flame.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    You should be fine. I've read about people's lenses cracking and whatnot, but I've never had a problem.
    Running 55W HID's on my foggies, been through heavy rain, thick fog, even washed it with the bulbs on to see what would happen.

Like what Curtis and Natnat said, they shouldn't run hotter than your halogens, I don't know if it'll be the same for the cheapo eBay ones, but if you wanna get HID's for your foggies then spend a little bit more money to get decent ones.

If you're a bit more serious and want better light output, you can try a projector retrofit for your foglights. Essentially, you're almost getting double the output on the road (you'll have 2 cut-offs which can be annoying at times, but there's a massive difference between just putting in HIDs and doing it properly with the projector lens and not blinding the crap out of everyone).

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 CL9 Lux
    What type of bulb is the CL9 preface foglight? I wanna give an HID swap a try
    '04 CL9 6spd Lux | front and rear Hardrace camber arms | Injen CAI | BC Racing Coilovers | DBA slotted rotors |

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    It's H11, but you can use H9's with minor modifications with almost 2x the light output.

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 CL9 Lux
    awesome, thanks
    '04 CL9 6spd Lux | front and rear Hardrace camber arms | Injen CAI | BC Racing Coilovers | DBA slotted rotors |

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    The h11 globe has a rubber ring around it to stop water from getting in does the h9 have them too ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    If its brighter then it's hotter wouldn't that crack ?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    depends on the power output
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    55W should be fine, if you're scared about it getting cracked, do a foglight HID projector retrofit (think there's a thread where some guy's chucked in lexus ones). But if you're really anal, you can put a protective plastic lens in front of the projector.

As Afgmoh and I have said, we've been running 55W HID's and it's fine.