Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R

Unhappy B16A crank no start

Hey y'all

My civic conked out yesterday, started fine twice, got to repco n when leaving the car park she started spluttered then died, almost kicked over a couple times (kind of spluttered a little bit but never started) but there is absolutely no spark coming out of any of the plugs.

The contacts in the dizzy cap were quite corroded (i scraped about 0.5mm of shit off before i got to bare metal) and the rotor button was worn too, i replaced them both and still no firing... the ign coil gives the right impedance according to the service manual values and the same values as a new one (i checked one in repco, I haven't replaced it) and also is getting power to the terminals. One observation though was when I put a spark plug directly on the ign coil and grounded it, still no spark after crank. I bought new spark plugs too since the ones in there were a couple years old and looked pretty shot.

what are the chances of the ICM shat itself, the ign coil, the main relay or the ecu itself? is there anything else to check?

fuel pump works fine and I was smelling fuel coming out of the head when i was cranking without plugs in a couple of cyls so I guess the injectors are sweet too. I just don't want to keep replacing parts that aren't faulty. My next bet was to replace the ign coil and/or ICM which I found a procedure to fault test it.

Any help will be appreciated

EDIT: hmm, I just read on some other forum that highly corroded dizzy cap contacts can f up the ign coil cause it can't spark - maybe I did fry that n the fault is internal?

EDIT: Has to be ign coil, icm works with test light
    Last edited by 98vtir; 11-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Doesn't sound like main relay. MR's are more intermittent IE they conk out, won't start, wait a few minutes, then it starts again etc.

ICM or coil is my guess. Surely something to do with the dizzy/plugs/leads. I doubt it's an ECU issue unless you've been fiddling with it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    Thanks dougie, the icm works with test light on crank so gotta be the coil. the dizzy cap contacts being so corroded probably contributed to its demise.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Not too expensive to replace the coil fortunately. Otherwise I know a place that does non-gen dizzy's new for about $250

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    I've already bought the cap n rotor button so i just need the coil now, they're only $53 from repco. Thank you for your help