Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by V205
    Was it necessary to do the valve clearance at 40,000km? Is it in the service book (even for harsh conditions)?

Did you have valve tapping issue?
    Yes, valve clearance check is in the service manual.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Was '04 Accord Euro, GP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_F
    matell how do u find that mobil 1 oil?

i'm thinking about changing over to it.
    I haven't had any problems with it in the 20000kms+ that I've been running it. I first noticed that the engine sounded a little harsher, but it felt smoother, and built revs more freely than with the semi dino.

I've never had to top up the oil between services and the engine feels almost as good before the service as it does after. I'm thinking of swapping to Motul 8100 at the 50,000km service (if I haven't moved OS by then) but remember baboo saying ages ago it starts to break down after 5000km+, to which Noel on tsxclub has also made a similar comment. It will probably last the 10,000km unlike 300V which is ideally changed every 5000km. My hard and spirited 170km+ drive a day to work and back will soon let me know how 8100 stands up.

I've also recently considered trying Fuchs full synthetic oil, but haven't been able to find too many positive comments about it. Most seem to put it in the same bracket as Castrol.

Member Array
    Car:
    happy car
    what viscosity oil is best for fuel economy.. and also synthetic, semi, fully, non synthetic?

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro Lux, 6SPD SS
    How do you guys know when the oil starts to break down? Lab test ($$$!) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matell
    I haven't had any problems with it in the 20000kms+ that I've been running it. I first noticed that the engine sounded a little harsher, but it felt smoother, and built revs more freely than with the semi dino.

I've never had to top up the oil between services and the engine feels almost as good before the service as it does after. I'm thinking of swapping to Motul 8100 at the 50,000km service (if I haven't moved OS by then) but remember baboo saying ages ago it starts to break down after 5000km+, to which Noel on tsxclub has also made a similar comment. It will probably last the 10,000km unlike 300V which is ideally changed every 5000km. My hard and spirited 170km+ drive a day to work and back will soon let me know how 8100 stands up.

I've also recently considered trying Fuchs full synthetic oil, but haven't been able to find too many positive comments about it. Most seem to put it in the same bracket as Castrol.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas
    what viscosity oil is best for fuel economy.. and also synthetic, semi, fully, non synthetic?
    Taken from the Oil Bible;

Fully Synthetic Characteristics
    0W-30 Fuel economy savings
    0W-40 Enhances engine performance and power
    5W-40 Ensures engine is protected from wear and deposit build-up
    Ensures good cold starting and quick circulation in freezing temperatures
    Gets to moving parts of the engine quickly

Semi-synthetic Characteristics
    5W-30 Better protection
    10W-40 Good protection within the first 10 minutes after starting out
    15W-40 Roughly three times better at reducing engine wear
    Increased oil change intervals - don't need to change it quite so often

Mineral Characteristics
    10W-40 Basic protection for a variety of engines
    15W-40 Oil needs to be changed more often
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    MY09 Euro/MY05 Jazz VTIS
    Was it necessary to do the valve clearance at 40,000km? Is it in the service book (even for harsh conditions)?

Did you have valve tapping issue?
    Ihave had no engine issue's at all. It is part of the 40k service. I have been running Mobil 1 10w 30w since new & as mentioned earlier in the thread cannot say if there is any proven benefits from running synthetic oil. The engine always goes hard & the oil is always clean. So all I can say is so far so good.

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro Lux, 6SPD SS
    Do you burn any noticable oil between changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotony
    Ihave had no engine issue's at all. It is part of the 40k service. I have been running Mobil 1 10w 30w since new & as mentioned earlier in the thread cannot say if there is any proven benefits from running synthetic oil. The engine always goes hard & the oil is always clean. So all I can say is so far so good.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY09 Euro/MY05 Jazz VTIS
    Do you burn any noticable oil between changes?
    No none at all. I have been really impressed with the lack of oil consumption & the good fuel consumption I'm getting in return.

Yeap. Totally agree. I'm running the new Mobil 10w-30.. Really Really impressed with good fuel consumption, and virtually no oil consumption. And i Redline it quite often. Oil is still clean, not necessarily black, but a golden brown.

thanks.

Just curious to what would be the better option:
    use oem honda oil (taking no risks with warranty) but having it changed ever 5000km (it doesn't seem to last the full 10000km with my driving style/conditions)

option two is using mobil 1 ever 10,000km (possibly infringing on the warranty?)

hm, what to do...

Hi,

Did anyone find out from Honda Australia that using any other oil other than Honda FEO will possibly void the warranty? If no one has, I will give them an email tomorrow.

Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Yeap. Totally agree. I'm running the new Mobil 10w-30.. Really Really impressed with good fuel consumption, and virtually no oil consumption. And i Redline it quite often. Oil is still clean, not necessarily black, but a golden brown.
    Funny you mention oil consumption. I have never noticed any oil being used between service - now at 30800kms. I have used synthetic oil since 10,000kms. Despite lots of varied trips and revs - no noticeable consumption on the dip stick at all.

Chris_F = I would relax about using non Honda oil in terms of warranty. As long as it meets or exceeds the Honda specifications it should be fine. I can't see how Honda could claim Mobil or other oil causes damage to the engine if it meets the specifications stated in the manual.