Thread: idle problems

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box

idle problems

Hello,

Having some idle problems in the Em1. Not too long ago car wouldn't start. Brother replaced Rotor and Coil or something like that. Now it starts. But when I start it, motor idles at 1500. Then when I start driving it usually sits at 1000. But when Im at a set of lights it goes back up to 1500. Sometimes drops down to 500 when I'm reversing or driving slow.

Any ideas?

you may need to replace the Idle Air Control Valve.

also you may need to replace spark plus and clean out the fuel injectors

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box
    can anyone recommend a place for an IACV for b16a in sydney?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1, Evo8
    Or alternatively, you can clean the IACV yourself. It's a fairly simple task and the DIY can be found on this forum.
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    i had a similar problem on my ek4 recently where idle was hunting when i was in neutral.
    since i replaced my thermostat, there was air in the cooling system. so bleeding coolant system helped a lot but still was hunting, i opened up the iac valve
    and it was blacked filled with carbon. so i used some good quality throttle body cleaner to get it cleaned up. make sure that when u open the iacv valve and clean it u make sure the unit is put back with all the rubber seals in place, or else u can have more leaks here. and finally u need to bleed the coolant system again after reinstalling. i also opened out the throttle body and cleaned that out too. suppose after all this cleaning and it still is there, then suppose u might have a faulty
    iacv. when its fluctuating get a end of a screw driver and start hitting ur iacv and if idle changes then it could suggest ur iacv is faulty

also vacuum leaks in any hoses might cause the car to have this problem. just go around all of the air intake hoses and spray throttle body cleaner and if that line/
    hose sucks in the cleaner and the car's idle surges then u have a leak.
    your car idling at 1k when driving is a bit high, normally a b16a2 should idle around 650-700 rpm mark. maybe adjust the idle at the throttle body as i think the base idle is a little high. hope this helps mate, ive just been battling this problem and now ive fixed it.

eric the car guy has a video out that explains honda idle problems
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L788jKEVblY