Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    BP E10 in NSW is only 91.
    Caltex E10 in NSW also 91 (also QLD)

88 Octane +10% ethanol = 91.

You've made the assumption that the petrol refineries only refine 91 then add 10%.

They don't. Some refineries refine the petrol to 88 octane then add ethanol to boost it to 91. it's cheaper to make than 91octane +e10 to 94/5

You cant argue with physics, all addictive being equal E10 fuel also has less energy content than pure petrol, your fuel consumption would go up.

Even by NSW government (who made E10 compulsory in NSW in replacement of 91), then themselves concurred that E10 will increase the fuel consumption by almost 3%.

Also, ethanol has WATER, for every 60 litres of E10, there is 300ml (a glass full) of H2O in the fuel tank. it dilutes the fuel and makes the liquid MUCH more volatile.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html
    Ah, I guess it's different in NSW then. In Vic, I believe legislation requires ULP to be 91 RON, where 10 years ago, it used to be as low as 87 RON. NSW may have taken a different stance since they basically forced E10 into all petrol stations.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fredoops again.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I will only use E10 when I can be certain the fuel will be all used up very quickly (within a week for 95 E10, within 2 weeks for 98 E10)

Because the moment E10 is refined/blended it starts to deteriorate and contaminate.

If you use E10 and car starts to ping or run poorly, the fuel's contaminated/expired.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Ah, I guess it's different in NSW then. In Vic, I believe legislation requires ULP to be 91 RON, where 10 years ago, it used to be as low as 87 RON. NSW may have taken a different stance since they basically forced E10 into all petrol stations.
    the octane rating is tested on the final product, not the components, so 88+10% Ethanol is still 91.l
    Last edited by Fredoops; 20-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e10 info.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	24360

some handy info from Hondaone

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by blommer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e10 info.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	24360

some handy info from Hondaone
    The fuel needs to be be E10 AND at least 95 Octane to be used.

Not any plain old E10 is usable.

Most people don't realise that

Also here some reading on for those who are interested in what happens to Ethanol blended fuels:
    http://fuelschool.blogspot.com.au/20...l-blended.html
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu
    iirc most E10 is about 95 RON. Doesn't ethanol increase the RON?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
    iirc most E10 is about 95 RON. Doesn't ethanol increase the RON?

Doubt that, it's the octane rating that's concerned. Ethanol doesnt increase octane rating at all. In fact, ethanol contains less energy value than petrol and will have some loss in power & fuel economy (2-3%)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by blommer View Post
    Doubt that, it's the octane rating that's concerned. Ethanol doesnt increase octane rating at all. In fact, ethanol contains less energy value than petrol and will have some loss in power & fuel economy (2-3%)
    Ron has nothing to do with energy content.

Ethanol DOES increase Ron.

Ie: 91 +10% Ethanol = 94.5 Ron

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    One thing you may want to note, as mentioned in my earlier post, the K24 will change it's compression (or a:f as it's linked) to match that of the fuel, and prevent knock. With E10, the engine will put more fuel in (or run lower ratio), meaning that even though E10 has a lower RON, the extra fuel would prevent any knock/ping anyways.
    Say what?

No it doesnt. It cant.

When the ecu senses detonation through the knock sensor, it pulls out ignition timing, and richens the mixture up.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Accord Euro
    I just filled up yesterday with premium 100 e10 from united
    Will let you guys know how it goes later in during the week

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Either way, E10 will be better for your car than regular ULP. I mean if ULP is 88RON (which it seems to be in NSW) then E10 would be 91RON, where as if ULP was 91 RON (Vic), then E10 would be 94RON. Eitherway, E10 is safer than ULP.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I mean if ULP is 88RON (which it seems to be in NSW) then E10 would be 91RON, where as if ULP was 91 RON (Vic), then E10 would be 94RON. Eitherway, E10 is safer than ULP.
    Every state has the same fuel.

Regular ULP is no lower than 91RON. Ethanol has a RON of 109. so when blended with ULP in a 90/10 mixture, you end up with about 94RON. HOWEVER, its not always a perfect 90/10 mixture. That 10% is the MAXIMUM amount of ethanol that is in the fuel. It could be anywhere from 1% to 10%. Therefore, the RON of E10 will vary between 91 and 94RON

Then we have 95 and 98 PULP, which is ethanol free.

The 100 octane you see united selling is still E10, but its mixed with 98RON.

SOURCE; Have managed servo chains.
    to see all of my build, checkout