Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip

Member Array
    Car:
    06' euro

Rip

Hulo, I'm not to sure if there is an actual term for this but there is a rip on my tyre tread. The tire still holds air, but i'm pretty newb so I don't know if it will be okay or it will eventually explode. What are your thoughts?

Attachment 24902
    >>

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    holy crap i read this as r.i.p!

how old are these tyres?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

:S how did you manage to do that?

It should be okay for DD as it's not on the shoulder/sidewall and doesn't look too deep. Speak with a tyre shop they may be able to glue it for you.

Would recommend looking into changing them sometime in the near future.

Member Array
    Car:
    06' euro
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    holy crap i read this as r.i.p!

how old are these tyres?
    I bought a set of wheels and these tyres came with it, there is still heaps of tread. When I spoke with the previous owner he said he had bought his car a few months ago and these wheels(my wheel's now) came with it and recently bought new wheels(reason for sale). Not sure whether it happened before or after sale as, but regardless whats done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    :S how did you manage to do that?

It should be okay for DD as it's not on the shoulder/sidewall and doesn't look too deep. Speak with a tyre shop they may be able to glue it for you.

Would recommend looking into changing them sometime in the near future.
    I don't know , maybe too much power and need semi-slicks for my DD, semisrs. It looks pretty deep.. There is still heaps of tread left though :'( the cost of one of these tyres($100 avg. including fitting and balancing) will be almost half the price of what I bought the entire set of rims and tyres for($250)... sigh
    >>

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    There's an manufacturing date stamped onto the wall of the tyre. I can't remember the template but you can google it.

Tyres might just be too old. Should never use tyres more than six weeks old.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    There's an manufacturing date stamped onto the wall of the tyre. I can't remember the template but you can google it.

mmmmmm, 6 weeks, what is in your mind, seems you are thinking too much. 6 years, but I think in austrlia it's 3 years if i am not wrong
    http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html All info here
    Last edited by hmetro24; 31-05-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post

You mean 6 years surely?

The manufacturer date should be WWYY WW = number of weeks YY = years, (e.g. 1509 = 15th week of 2009)

If it's a hard compound it shouldn't be much of an issue, treadwear rating 200 +

Shelf life of around 4 years

I would probably reject a tire which has been sitting in storage for 4 years, max would be 1.5 - 2 years, otherwise I would request for newer ones or a discount.

Hard compounds doesn't matter as much, but softer ones like KU36, 595RSR, Advans etc gets quite hard and loses grip with age.

rest in peace tyre!

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii pppppppppppppppp to the girl i used to be

baby its overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Haha yeah I meant 6 years dudes. My god that would be sh1t otherwise lol.