Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by chez00 View Post
    The front countershaft bearing needs to be swapped to suit the 5.06 countershaft. It has a smaller ID. This will also change all your countershaft bearing preload values so you will need to check and re shim if necessary. Honestly I would have thought the dc5 / euroR ratio would have been better but each to their own. Either way you need to swap that countershaft bearing.
    how do you calculate preload on a bearing?
    you mean the torque value for countershaft bearing bolt?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 cl9
    I suppose it all comes down to funds. It looks like you'll be dropping some cash on this car and will probably want to keep it. You'll have the gearbox apart to do the FD swap so the cost is just the LSD itself, not the labour/downtime. You'll be spewing if you decide you want one down the track because it will be twice the work. I'm biased because I make a living from drivetrain modifications but most people will tell you there is no comparison between 160kw with an open wheel diff and 160kw that actually hooks up and stays hooked up. Happy to help, sounds like a great project. I love Euros, I wish my wife did too because I'd own one.
    i guess ill look into lsd too mate, cheers for the advice. just one last question, why is it that you say the 4.7 FD is more suited for the k24 than the 5.1?

Ozhonda Trader Array
    i guess ill look into lsd too mate, cheers for the advice. just one last question, why is it that you say the 4.7 FD is more suited for the k24 than the 5.1?
    It's not that it isn't suited to the engine. You just need to understand that it will be very different and much less comfortable. Mind you the gearing is longer in the Euro so it may work really well with the increased rev limit you're talking about.

how do you calculate preload on a bearing?
    you mean the torque value for countershaft bearing bolt?
    Yes, but in combination with the 35mm shim between the rear countershaft bearing and 6th gear. That clearance usually changes when the shaft is swapped, and sometimes when the front countershaft bearing is swapped too. This changes the oil clearance between gears now that I think of it rather than the bearing preload per se.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    It's not that it isn't suited to the engine. You just need to understand that it will be very different and much less comfortable. Mind you the gearing is longer in the Euro so it may work really well with the increased rev limit you're talking about.

Yes, but in combination with the 35mm shim between the rear countershaft bearing and 6th gear. That clearance usually changes when the shaft is swapped, and sometimes when the front countershaft bearing is swapped too. This changes the oil clearance between gears now that I think of it rather than the bearing preload per se.
    oh ok, youre right.
    just gotta stick to service manual i guess.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Props to chez for sharing so much info

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 cl9
    Agreed chez uve been a massive help! Thanks heaps

While this might not be 'that' accurate to use... Link...

Its something to help you guesstimate the effects of your FD change for given parameters [Gear Set, Tyre Size, Redline]... If you know your car well enough, you'll know ~ how much the calculator is off by [For me I found each value was off by 10% - 15% for my 111].

You can then imagine the difference between your stock ratios and new ratios if you will. Hopefully will shed light and you can make a better judgement either or not it will be suitable for you =)
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 cl9
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    While this might not be 'that' accurate to use... Link...

Its something to help you guesstimate the effects of your FD change for given parameters [Gear Set, Tyre Size, Redline]... If you know your car well enough, you'll know ~ how much the calculator is off by [For me I found each value was off by 10% - 15% for my 111].

You can then imagine the difference between your stock ratios and new ratios if you will. Hopefully will shed light and you can make a better judgement either or not it will be suitable for you =)
    do u know where i can find the gear ratios for the euro, all my searches keep bringing up the US and JDM ratios only...

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 cl9
    DW actualy found them