Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic

Has anyone ever bodged... or rather Bogged the bumper moulds off/out?

As per the title...
    Has anyone ever bodged the front and rear bars to get rid of the mouldings? By bodge, I mean bog. Take them off, and then make flat and beautiful with bog? I'm half tempted to stop the hunt for mouldless bumpers in launceston/ tas, and just ripped them off and bogging it up, or just leaving them on, and colour coding them.

So, what do you think? Worth the effort? Or just better off getting mouldless bars?
    Reason why: I think they are horrible. They give me diabeetus. I must get rid of them

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    its doable, just remember to apply the bog in very thin layers, there is however always the risk that the bog will just fall out one day.... but thats a risk with any reaper with any bog thats thicker then intended.
    it may be worth looking into some thing reenforced with fiberglass or cutting the moulding lines out from the back and adding reinforcement there like patching a hole in a wall

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    its doable, just remember to apply the bog in very thin layers, there is however always the risk that the bog will just fall out one day.... but thats a risk with any reaper with any bog thats thicker then intended.
    it may be worth looking into some thing reenforced with fiberglass or cutting the moulding lines out from the back and adding reinforcement there like patching a hole in a wall
    That's true... I've never worked with bog before, so had/ have no idea what it's like, hah.
    Hmm, you may be onto something there in regards to the patching it up. So, rekon just kinda chucking a layer of fibreglass over the top would work? Like, fibreglass it, then make it smooth, then paint over?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Bog should be fine just give it plenty of time to cure and sand it well. Work is in the prep more than the paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    You think so? Any tips for getting it to work well? or how to apply it nicely and all that jazz... never worked with bog as I said above, so any tips for that would be great.
    But yes, if that's the case, this is good news

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    the trick to bog is just using very thin layers and making sure its mating surface is clean.
    other then that build it higher then you need so you cut back to the final height

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    the trick to bog is just using very thin layers and making sure its mating surface is clean.
    other then that build it higher then you need so you cut back to the final height
    Awesome, thanks for that