Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro
    Well,my console and gearshift are all back together now with the new Comptech short shifter and the wiring i've run to set up my aux power socket when it arrives from Honda.
    My impressions about the short shifter are mixed. It certainly makes the throws a lot shorter,but imo the change from 1st to 2nd requires significantly more effort than before,however all the other shifts are firm and nicely positive and are easier than the 1-2 shift.I'm hoping that as the gearbox runs in a bit more the 1-2 shift will become easier.
    I also noted that the gearknob on my '05 doesnt have a lock nut on the bottom.What it does have is a very tight plasic bush that requires a fair bit of effort to unscrew initially,but i noticed that it was a lot easier to screw back on and also allowed me to screw the knob back on further.This is a mixed blessing in that as you shorten the stick it makes the throws seem even shorter, but it requires even more effort to change gears,BUT, now that ive screwed it down so far, when i unscrew it a little to lengthen the stick the knob is too loose and twists.Unfortunately the knob design doesnt seem to allow the fitment of a locknut.Need to investigate this further.
    I also added a square of sound deadening foam around the gearshift cables and grommet thru firewall area.Its made a big difference in terms of the noise i used to hear coming thru from the gearbox.Im very pleased with this little addition just by itself.Well worth doing when you have the console/ashtray/CD box out.
    Last edited by avid; 24-08-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Hi avid, good to hear you got everything together. I have to give you vital info about the shortshifter.
    Quote Originally Posted by avid
    My impressions about the short shifter are mixed. It certainly makes the throws a lot shorter,but imo the change from 1st to 2nd requires significantly more effort than before,however all the other shifts are firm and nicely positive and are easier than the 1-2 shift.I'm hoping that as the gearbox runs in a bit more the 1-2 shift will become easier.
    With the short shifter, the time in neutral during the 1-2 shifts is DRASTICALLY reduced. So what changed? Previously with the stock shifter, say you shift from 1st to 2nd and it goes from 4000rpm to 2000rpm. With the long throw of the stock shifter, when you are pushing it into 2nd, the input shaft RPM would have dropped a bit to around 3000rpm. With your short shifter, the shift distance is reduced, but you are still moving your hand with the same speed. So the time it takes to get from 1-2 is shortened. When you are going into 2nd, the input shaft would be at around 3500-4000rpm (depending on your shifting style), so the synchros would have to reduce the input shaft rpm to match the transmission rpm.

As times goes by, the 1-2 shifts won't become smoother as when synchros wear, shift quality becomes notchy. The 2nd gear synchro is the one that takes the most wear. So when you shift 1st to 2nd, let it have a little more time in neutral before you pull it into 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by avid
    I also noted that the gearknob on my '05 doesnt have a lock nut on the bottom.What it does have is a very tight plasic bush that requires a fair bit of effort to unscrew initially,but i noticed that it was a lot easier to screw back on and also allowed me to screw the knob back on further.This is a mixed blessing in that as you shorten the stick it makes the throws seem even shorter, but it requires even more effort to change gears,BUT, now that ive screwed it down so far, when i unscrew it a little to lengthen the stick the knob is too loose and twists.Unfortunately the knob design doesnt seem to allow the fitment of a locknut.Need to investigate this further.
    Do you have a pic of your gearknob? Is it the standard Euro one or did you replace it?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro
    Thanks for that advice Aaronng,i will give the slower shifts a try.Mabye i'm just getting used to it,or its my imagination,but it seeemed easier to change gears today.
    I will try and get a pic of the 05 gear knob posted up(mine is the standard knob that comes with the car from new).

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Ahh, the standard knob. My standard knob had a plastic clip instead of a lock nut. That white clip which is ziptied to the shift boot also helps keep the knob centered. It could also be a self tapping thread where the plastic in the knob is tapped as you tighten it down.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

so just to clear this up, this auxilary port is the same as the lighter port? does this mean you can charge your phone and stuff with it? and also, mine came with the port where it has the USB end to it, does this mean i can play music through an MP3 player? or do i have to get xcarlink for any of that? (im assuming that i need to purchase something to plug my ipod into...)

Member Array
    Car:
    IM ON A BOAT
    Where is the fuse located for this?
    going insane since i cant find it.
    So i heard you like mudkipz