Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC5R - Low fuel indictor - how low can you go?

Hi OzHonda,

I'm a recent owner of a DC5r (finally saved up for a decent car ) and decided to see how much kms i could get off a full tank. Filled it up and restarted the 'trip a' odometer.

Now the low fuel indicator came up after the fuel gauge got JUST under the 1/4 tank mark. Done around 400kms I believe, fair enough I thought, I'll top up the tank tomorrow arvo after work.

Now the next morning going at around 80km/h with the just-less-than-1/4 tank (around 10mins into 15min drive to work) the car stalls. I thought the damned guy sold me a dud car! Got a friend to bring along a 5L jerrycan of fuel and it still did not start. Towed it to the mechanic and, it's alive! Mechanic said it ran out of fuel, even though the fuel gauge needle is nowhere near the "E" mark, saying the fuel pump is kinda high in a DC5 so fill up when I get to half the fuel tank.

Anyone has this problem? Now I get panic attacks when my fuel indicator gets to below half

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Is that all you got out of a tank. Whoa.

Im on 409KM atm and sitting just under 1/2. But I've been really good on this tank damn double demerits.

Maybe your fuel filter is gone?

Why wouldn't your car start after u fill up 5l?

From memory with the light on its 5L left in tank.

What? 409Km and still half a tank? O.o That's cray!

What's the avg KM on a full tank on a DC5R? Yeah I'll get the mechanic to have a look at the fuel filter once I bring it in. He said to wait for the next 5k to come back since the guy from whom I bought it from had just done a servicing.

Any mechanic jargon I can tell the mechanic to have an overall check of the car? "General maintenance"? "Have a look around mate"? :P
    He did have a quick look to give me the a-ok before I bought the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I normally get 500-550k a tank. But i do hit vtec few times in a day normally. Since its double I hvn't. Ill take a photo when I go down for a smoke break in 30 minutes.

This tank is doing well as the right foot is scared of the men in blue.

And I always fill to the rim, as my daily commute is over 100km/day. South West to North West.

I think the DC5r gearing is perfect. You can get into 6th gear at ~65km ish even lower if the air is really cold.

FYI - Red book claims max KM out of tank on the dc5 is 1000km!!!!!!!
    Last edited by amant02; 28-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    is this a stock car or modified?

My car has an aftermarket walbro pump and the sock that reaches into the tank isn't really long enough so the sensor thinks there's say 2 bars left but the sock's not reaching any more fuel..
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Still man he says his light wasnt on so thats 5L + that jerry can = easily over 10l of fuel. Which is 20% of his fuel. To the rim max I've ever filled up was 48L with the light on which makes it ~ 53L to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I normally get 500-550k a tank. But i do hit vtec few times in a day normally. Since its double I hvn't. Ill take a photo when I go down for a smoke break in 30 minutes.

This tank is doing well as the right foot is scared of the men in blue.

And I always fill to the rim, as my daily commute is over 100km/day. South West to North West.

I think the DC5r gearing is perfect. You can get into 6th gear at ~65km ish even lower if the air is really cold.

FYI - Red book claims max KM out of tank on the dc5 is 1000km!!!!!!!
    LOL 1000km? I have trouble believing that. Maybe if it's used as a horse carriage

Haha yeah true that, I tend to only hit 3k rpm and shift during the double demerits(most of the time actually).

Holy shit 100km daily? I presume it's mostly highway? My daily drive is from Vic park to the city so lots of stops :/

You get onto 6th gear when going at 65km/h? Doesn't it jerk? I tend to keep at 3k rpm, which would be around 80km/h on 5th gear. Is lower better?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    is this a stock car or modified?

My car has an aftermarket walbro pump and the sock that reaches into the tank isn't really long enough so the sensor thinks there's say 2 bars left but the sock's not reaching any more fuel..
    Hmm not sure about that, the previous owner didn't mention any changes to the card apart from strut bars and suspensions. I'll ask the mechanic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Still man he says his light wasnt on so thats 5L + that jerry can = easily over 10l of fuel. Which is 20% of his fuel. To the rim max I've ever filled up was 48L with the light on which makes it ~ 53L to the rim.
    The low fuel lights did actually come up at at bit below the 1/4 tank mark, I thought this would get me to work (12Km drive), about halfway through the car died, fuel needle slighty ever moved then
    Last edited by Hellsing; 28-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131228_195422[1].jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	26111

Yes i find it hard to believe that they claim 1k Kms lol.

Correct my self its pretty close to 400km for 1/2 tank

No jerky motion at all getting into 6th at low speed.

Have u tired to change gears in between 2k - 2.5k?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    low revs high load is not a fuel efficient way to drive
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I know. even at 65km on 6th its only a light tap on the accelerator. as soon as uphill start down shift to 5th. then back to 6th.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Yeah if you're just keeping a constant speed lower the better, but if accelerating, luggin it is bad fuel economy and not very fun at all lol.
    I can do 45kmh in 6th with 5.1, no luggin
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

amant02,

So you're saying, 100%-50% fuel level on the fuel gauge represents 0-400km distance, and the remaining 50-0% fuel level is only 100-150km worth?

Your fuel gauge levels doesn't seem very accurate at all.