Metallic Noise when cranking

Hi guys,

Recently my car (Edit: 2002 DC5 manual) has started making a metallic crunching kind of noise when cranking. It used to only be when the car was cold, and occasionally, but it is doing it pretty much every time now. I've recorded the sound since it's difficult to describe, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymylht4oca...sy%20start.mp3

What do you guys think? It sounds engine related (and probably quite expensive!) to my untrained ear.

Cheers.

Sounds a bit odd - is it starter motor related like the starter is running on for a bit longer than it should? I listened to the file but a bit unclear at the noise.

Also how easy are you finding gear changes? it may be a problem with your clutch plate where the little captive springs have a tendancy of popping out and then start to get stuck between the clutch plate and flywheel or pressure plate. Especially if you've been doing some very high rpm downshifts the cages that hold the springs eventually wear and drop the springs out.

I'm thinking it could be starter motor related. Seems to take longer than normal to crank over when the metallic crunching noise is present. One suggestion I've had is that it could be the gear on the starter, or the ring gear on the flywheel.

Gear changes are fine, although sometimes I find reverse doesn't engage the first time. I don't tend to do high rpm downshifts.

okay then the issue could be the starter pinion not disengaging fast enough when the starter is cranked - its a metallic sound and the way to fix is to remove the starter motor and clean and then regrease the pinion slider and starter cog.

Check out this thread

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001...ing-start.html

It's easy enough to do at home yourself with some basic tools and lithium/silicon grease - try not to use normal grease as this will continue to attract more dirt and dust generated.

Cool, thanks for that link!

How did you get on with it? Was it the starter motor?