Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Accord Euro 2003 Luxury questions

Hey all.
    So I'm officially a proud owner of the beautiful Accord Euro, it's a 2003 Luxury Model (which still looks amazing) and I was hoping you guys here could give me some more information about the car, or just some tips.

What are some things I should know? I'll be looking through the manual of course but one thing I'm curious about is the i-vtec dohc engine. I heard that the vtec usually engages at high RPM's such as 5-6k? I'm quite sure I haven't gone that high however when I popped a strong acceleration at an average speed I felt a surge of power, and I'm not sure if that's just standard hard acceleration or the vtec. The Camry I used to drive didn't get anything like that so some indication of when the vtec gets going would be great, if I'm wrong.

Also with the heated seats, I'm not entirely sure if they're working or not even though my front seat passenger did assume it was, though I didn't exactly feel a jump of heat a while after putting it on 'high', maybe because I was wearing thick clothing? Would be nice just to know that it's operational.

Don't think I'll swamp you guys with any more questions so please feel free to just tell me nice things about the car as it'd be helpful to me
    Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Okay lets start your knowledge with some bad news.

I have driven both cars, I would say the acceleration is on par. Maybe the Accord is faster by a tiny fraction.

More bad news,

K24a3 don't have 'true vtec'.

Good News,

It does have Vtec and it engages at 4700 RPM. (economical version)
    'i'vtec engages from like 2200RPM

More Knowledge,

More good news, Honda used K Series Engines in a number of their cars even their flagship range 'Type R'

Now the Type R k20 has 'true' vtec.

Magic of vtec happens in the head of the engine. As explained by that video.

You can swap the head on your engine block and make more power, have a true vtec feel.

You can also swap other parts like their close ratio gearbox, flywheel and etc etc to tune your engine to be better.

If I were to choose in between the Accord and Camry again, I would go the accord this time around. The only thing the camry has over the accord is the rear leg space.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    In relation to heated seats.

If you feel like you have just popped your pants with it on. It works.

Congrats on your purchase - I've recently bought a luxo Cl9 also. Great cars for the $$$

You should definitely know when the heated seats are on, they're really effective. The passenger side is bum warmer only and the drivers side heats the lumbar also... 'tis real nice!

Now these aren't race cars but are on the sporty side for a mid size 4 banger
    If you bought a manual you can expect a 0-100 in the mid-high 7s and high 8s - flat 9 for an auto. Both a fair bit quicker than a mid noughties Camry V6 (9.5)

Fwiw these DO run i-Vtec not sure what amant has been smoking but it engages at 6k not 4700 and not even close to 2200!!! So unless you really put your foot to the floor you won't have found it yet... Sadly the fun police put the redline at around 7k so the vtec fun is a pretty narrow band!

All can be fixed with an Ecu flash though which lowers the crossover point and raises the red line... Can't wait to do mine!
    Last edited by CL9er; 31-05-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    K24a3 don't have 'true vtec'.
    Wrong (see below)

It does have Vtec and it engages at 4700 RPM. (economical version)
    'i'vtec engages from like 2200RPM
    Wrong

K24A3 high cam engagement (vtec) is at 6000RPM.

You're thinking K20A3/K24A4, which are different.

More good news, Honda used K Series Engines in a number of their cars even their flagship range 'Type R'

Now the Type R k20 has 'true' vtec.
    Please explain?

By the same token JDM K20A isnt a "real" vtec either, they're both i-VTEC, both have 3 cam lobes per cylinder, both have VTC, both have continuously variable intake cam timing.

The only difference is head flow rate, cam and vtc profile.

If I were to choose in between the Accord and Camry again, I would go the accord this time around. The only thing the camry has over the accord is the rear leg space.
    and same year model camry (~2003) 2.4 makes about 86kw atw, accord euro makes 100kw atw (Auto vs auto), no comparison.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Ah I wasn't thinking of the correct motor.

To me true vtec is having vtec lobes on both sides. Exhaust and Intake.

Also to add to your list there are no oil squirter in the K24 only on the TSX motor/Type R k20's.

I was comparing the 08 Model Camry to the accord as that's a fair comparison. If we were to compare from the same year. I would compare against Stivo 03 Camry. Where I can say that's prob quicker @145kW and priced better @under40k.

But then again, the accord has been ahead of the game from the very beginning.

Also messing with Crossover is not recommended by honda, unless your building the motor. I would at least be doing I/H/E and 50deg VTC if you were going to be tuning the car. Speak to your tuner on what will benefit you, which Manifold to use and how large throttle body to use. Bang for buck. Computer and Tuner Time anit cheap.
    Last edited by amant02; 02-06-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    [QUOTE]Also
    I was comparing the 08 Model Camry to the accord as that's a fair comparison. If we were to compare from the same year. I would compare against Stivo 03 Camry. Where I can say that's prob quicker @145kW and priced
    Why would you compare an 08 camry to a 2003 accord euro to start with.

The v6 sportivo was a dog, it weights between 50 to 120kgs more than the euro /euro lux.

Also messing with Crossover is not recommended by honda, unless your building the motor. I would at least be doing I/H/E and 50deg VTC if you were going to be tuning the car. Speak to your tuner on what will benefit you, which Manifold to use and how large throttle body to use. Bang for buck. Computer and Tuner Time anit cheap.
    Never heard of hondata (and mine) reflash for the tsx/accord euro?

Even a bog standard stock engine had potential, as hondata found out over a decade ago when tsx first landed in the us.

And it's relatively cheap compared to the $1000+ replacement ecu options.

Not everyone want / need to drop 5 large in the motor
    Last edited by Fredoops; 02-06-2015 at 01:29 AM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I didn't know there was a reflash option.

I personally wouldn't opt for a reflash, guessing it still be a good chunk cost of aftermarket ecu. Say $500 for reflash that's already 50% cost of hondata.

I compared the 08 model camry as earlier model isn't really comparable. It also was what I compared when making my decision back in 08.

PS: There is no need to spend 5k on a motor to make most of aftermarket ecu.

I do agree Accord > Camry. All day every day.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    For the accord euro cl9 a flashpro and tsx ecu will set you back aud $1500 these days with the current exchange rate before tuning

Once tuned on a dyno (and paid honda to re calibrste the immoboliser) you're looking at a 2 grand investment for a fully functioning custom solution.

Now you could opt for a ktuner but you'll still be looking at over a grand after its dyno tuned, but then you lose cruise control and traction control

Now you could save dyno tuning money by buying an off the shelf tune and loads it ... but then wtf is the point, that's just a very expansive reflash...

Also agreed accord euro beats a camry but I dunno about the wide body accord of the same vintage
    Last edited by Fredoops; 02-06-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Is there a Haltech opt for the euro yet?

100% hand down over and over again wouldn't bother with a 2k reflash.

Now we are entering the basic standalone territory.

Reflash is a great BFYB option for cars that are now selling from $6-$13k...
    Smoother response, more vtec fun, higher redline and a few extra ponies to boot. Nice Lil tweak for a mild daily and also undetectable.
    A Euro seems a pretty pointless base to try and build a hp hero from but that's not to say as a family sedan it can't be livened up with a little tinker

Also Fwiw '03 sportivo was over 1500kgs, good for 145kw and claimed a 0-100 sprint of 8.3 secs In Mt... Still slower than a MT Euro, less refined, ugly as he'll etc etc...But I think we all agree now

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    So many wuts in here
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut