Thread: Clutch problem

Clutch problem

Hi all, I've looked around and can't seem to find a thread on this problem: When I depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch), the rpm's will surge upwards by about 300 rpm before declining as it should. This is happening during normal driving, I haven't given it any stick yet since encountering this problem. Clutch seems to be working fine otherwise. Also had the clutch master cylinder replaced recently as it was leaking.

Has anybody had this happen to them, or know why this is happening?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti
    I've also got this problem... but i dont realli think its a "problem".

I duno why... but it started happening ever since i got my muffler. Maybe if anybody knows if a muffler has anything to do with it?

its probably your foot
    you're not used to the way the engine revs with the new exhaust system

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    yeah I also had this happening when I bought the car. I changed the muffler and it stopped. The previous one was a huge blitz cannon one. the new one is a smaller xforce twinloop.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    I wouldt worry
    infact the car is doing its normal thing

it detects a load on the crank shaft and compensates by raising the RMPs a bit.

you will notice this simply by turning on your head lamps or opening a window.

normal

Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude
    are you shifting up or down a gear? i get this when i shift down, the gear box slows the car down forcing it into a higher rev, however it does not do this when i shift up.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    I wouldt worry
    infact the car is doing its normal thing

it detects a load on the crank shaft and compensates by raising the RMPs a bit.

you will notice this simply by turning on your head lamps or opening a window.

normal
    I think you could be right. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattsama
    are you shifting up or down a gear? i get this when i shift down, the gear box slows the car down forcing it into a higher rev, however it does not do this when i shift up.
    Shifting up.

Member Array
    Car:
    JZX100 S2 Chaser, DC4, S5
    Have you played around with your idle lately?

Just another possibility!

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    What petrol do u use (please dont tell me its Optimax). I had that problem when i was using optimax idle seems to float around abit, switched to BP Ultimate and the problem never came back. You could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyBear
    Have you played around with your idle lately?

Just another possibility!
    No, but I recently had it serviced at a non-Honda mechanic's place so I dunno..

Quote Originally Posted by redliner
    What petrol do u use (please dont tell me its Optimax). I had that problem when i was using optimax idle seems to float around abit, switched to BP Ultimate and the problem never came back. You could try that.
    I've always used BP Ultimate.

The problem isn't with my idle, it's that the rpm's surge upwards when I disengage the clutch upshifting.

The car hasn't been doing this anymore, so I think ECU-Man might have been correct, just that I never noticed the car doing that before even with the headlights on and windows down.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Last edited by dcdc; 22-08-2005 at 04:02 PM.