Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro 6sp Mt & 02 CRV

Cheap vs Expensive tyres

Posted this in the tyre recommendation thread but didnt get any replies, so decided to start a thread..
    I'm looking around for tyres to fit my 18x8 rims.
    and the vast difference in prices for different brands of tyres make me wonder if the price is a reflection of the difference in quality or just a premium that you pay for the brand? Tyres that i'm looking at.
    Cheaper brands <$200
    Federal SS595
    Nankang NS2
    Silverstone FTZ
    Kumho Esta 711
    Hankook K104

More expensive
    Pirelli P zero rosso ~500
    Toyo T1R ~300
    Falken RT215 ~400

I'm willing to pay more for quality but are the more expensive tyres worth the extra money? I do plan to take the car to the track once in awhile but most of the driving willl be on the street...
    it'll be great if i could get some reviews on the cheaper tyres and how they perform compared to the more expensive tyres...and any other tyres that i should keep a lookout for?
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    If you want some great value tyres for the Euro I highly recommend Dunlop 3000As. They are not expensive as they are standard fitment to current Falcon XR6 and XR8. You can get great deals on them if you shop around.

If you buy the 3000As and are not happy with them I'll be shocked and need therapy.

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    most of the cheap tyres have a low load rating that doesnt suit the car's required rating, which is very dangerous

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    i would say the good year eagle f1's....only in 17 or bigger as these ones are made in Germany and are quality tyres...but for anyone else getting them any smaller then 17 dont becuase there made in thailand and have a big difference in quality...

never waste your money on cheap tyres... they are the only thing between you and the light pole.

IMO the best and most important purchase next to the car itself and time should be spent researching.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    I'm with Type one, and all the suspension guys i've spoken too all say Tyres are the best thing you can do for your handling.......so basically, i'd spend as much as i could afford on tyres.

Having said that, i've got K104s on mine haha, but saving for R-comps.
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    in that cheap range
    Federal SS595 - Taiwan
    Nankang NS2 - Taiwan/China
    those tyres have no grip whatso ever, even in the dry.

The other 2
    Kumho Esta 711 - S/Korea
    Hankook K104 - S/Korea
    These 2 tyres are good for general use, just don't expect it to perform like Michelin or Bridgestone.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Don't go for cheap, but don's bother splurging all your money on the most expensive. Why do you want the most expensive? For the best grip? If so, then go street-legal semi slicks.

Anyway, SP SPort 3000A is nice, and C.Drives too. Others who have used the T1R seemed to like it too.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

for a jap car - bridgestone. In a 16" for a sedan SO3. If you have 17's then RE070.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    I got cheap tyres once and learnt my lesson. The differenct between cheap tyres and better (slightly more expensive) tyres is night and day!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro 6sp Mt & 02 CRV
    damn...i was gonna bid on a set of 4 pirelli rossos in 225/40R18 on ebay.
    they sold for $1225...quite a bargain i reckon..

I might try the T1Rs in that case.

the cheap brand's websites all sound good lol,
    Ultimate perfomance tyres, top of the range etc etc
    but after hearing the comments i think i'll go for something mid to high range , prob ard 1k-1.5k..

the discount in using cheap tyres is not worth risking your life for.....
    I reckon the RT215 is pretty decent for both street and track at an affordable price.