Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    now try a few tanks of one of those gasolines, but add 2 ounces of 100% acetone to the tank every fill up. It reduces the surface tension of the gas, and allows for a more efficient burn.

More info can be found here http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Member Array
    Car:
    cupacino
    hey issert bad to mix the different brand of fuel ?

Just got 425km out of 33 L on Ultimate

I always use BP. It feels the best in my car. Mobil is 2nd best, and then Optimax. I gave up on Optimax years ago when the batches of fuel didn't seem regular. Sometimes it burnt clean, but quite often heaps of black soot always on the bumper, and the car wasn't running that rich lol.

I haven't tried the 98 vortex yet, although mum has tried it in her civic, and finds the engine is quiet, but not as much power.

96 vortex didn't run that well in the car when that first came out either.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey

I always use BP. It feels the best in my car. Mobil is 2nd best, and then Optimax. I gave up on Optimax years ago when the batches of fuel didn't seem regular. Sometimes it burnt clean, but quite often heaps of black soot always on the bumper, and the car wasn't running that rich lol.

I haven't tried the 98 vortex yet, although mum has tried it in her civic, and finds the engine is quiet, but not as much power.

96 vortex didn't run that well in the car when that first came out either.
    its all in the mind Q! =)
    sif put optimax last....

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    now try a few tanks of one of those gasolines, but add 2 ounces of 100% acetone to the tank every fill up. It reduces the surface tension of the gas, and allows for a more efficient burn.

More info can be found here http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
    Uhh... everyone was complaining about ethanol eating the rubber fuel lines. Acetone is just going to ruin it faster.

That article has no references as to where they get their data or claims from. Their mileage boost is also based on a car with a carburettor.

They say that the surface tension is high and prevents vaporisation. Their example? WATER! Water has an very high surface tension. What does water have to do with petrol? They say you need 300 fahrenheit to vaporise water because of surface tension. Under what conditions? I can leave water on a dish on a cool 25 degree Celsius day and it will vaporise. All their supposedly scientific evidence is plain bullshit!

More bullshit (where is the reference for this statement?):
    Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension
    More bullshit, Propane will detonate too early in the cylinder because the flash point is so low!
    Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE.
    Their claims that acetone is the least toxic solvent in the industry is rubbish. Methanol, ethanol and water are the least toxic.

And the injectors do pretty much a good job in atomisation (at least after the Bosch injectors came out over 20 years ago).

Please don't follow that what that article says.
    Last edited by aaronng; 13-09-2005 at 01:29 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Uhh... everyone was complaining about ethanol eating the rubber fuel lines. Acetone is just going to ruin it faster.

That article has no references as to where they get their data or claims from. Their mileage boost is also based on a car with a carburettor.

They say that the surface tension is high and prevents vaporisation. Their example? WATER! Water has an very high surface tension. What does water have to do with petrol? They say you need 300 fahrenheit to vaporise water because of surface tension. Under what conditions? I can leave water on a dish on a cool 25 degree Celsius day and it will vaporise. All their supposedly scientific evidence is plain bullshit!

More bullshit (where is the reference for this statement?):

More bullshit, Propane will detonate too early in the cylinder because the flash point is so low!

Their claims that acetone is the least toxic solvent in the industry is rubbish. Methanol, ethanol and water are the least toxic.

And the injectors do pretty much a good job in atomisation (at least after the Bosch injectors came out over 20 years ago).

Please don't follow that what that article says.
    if you go do further research into the subject from other sources, you'll see that the issues with it degrading seals has been tested over and over again and it's been shown to not be an issue. There were many people on one of the US del sol boards that tested this, and a large majority of those that did test it were showing gains upwards of 20% increased fuel economy. That may not have been the best link to post, but I didn't really feel like searching for a while when I had that one off hand.

I still dont understand how everyone is getting such good mileage!!
    I just filled up the tank about 45L and 425 k's!!
    Team Lonely Pilot #028

BUY MY INTEGRA NOW!!: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...hlight=blubber

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 dc2 vti-r
    isn't 425ks insanely good?

But thats for 45L... people are getting 500K for that much!!
    btw, how big is the tank??
    Team Lonely Pilot #028

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey
    33 Litres!!
    Team Lonely Pilot #028

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    if you go do further research into the subject from other sources, you'll see that the issues with it degrading seals has been tested over and over again and it's been shown to not be an issue. There were many people on one of the US del sol boards that tested this, and a large majority of those that did test it were showing gains upwards of 20% increased fuel economy. That may not have been the best link to post, but I didn't really feel like searching for a while when I had that one off hand.
    The seals may be fine, but I was talking about the fuel lines. The fuel lines that some cars use here in Australia do swell in the presence of ethanol. Acetone is even worse! Ethanol takes quite a while to swell rubber here in the labs, while acetone just ruins it within a short time. It may take a long time for the rubber fuel lines to swell and then degrade from contact with acetone, but when it does, I don't want to be in that car. If legislation changed so that fuel lines had to be acetone and ethanol proof, then I don't think I have that big of a problem with it.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Bugger, the damn pump just underfilled by 5L I think. Because I'm down one bar and I've only done 100km. Usually I do 150km by the time 1 bar is used. So my numbers are not 8.88L/100km but rather about 9.8L/100km. What a difference 5L makes!