Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LPG on a civic

if u didnt realise lpg has a better octane rating then optimax.so if u did convert ur car to lpg it would actually run better due to the fact that ur map sensor will c the difference in octane and run better fuel economy and more power due to that fact that the timing will b advanced.

also lpg wont coke up ur combustion chamber due to it being a higher octane unlike normal unleaded. even afta a few years u tests have shown that the reason why taxis can run so long is coz their pistons and valves have no carbon build up which causes wear and tear.

with the price of petrol these days this conversion seems quite viable

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    Also , converting to LPG "loses" 10-15% of your cars peak power apparently..
    How can it lose power when the octane of gas is around 140 and is better for the engine than regular or premium unleaded

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Type R
    How can it lose power when the octane of gas is around 140 and is better for the engine than regular or premium unleaded
    something to do with the atmosperic convertor ( gas converted back into liquid petroleum) ?!? Ive read up from a fast fours a few years back - "apparently"

Just put on a good air filter and a good exhaust and it'll be really economic.

[CONS] You'll lose your entire boot. LPG gives good around the city economy, but on the highway its fairly similar to petrol. Youll lose your power, dont try and drive up any hills! Your exhaust gasses will STINK. You'll be adding extra weight to your car, combined with the lessened power = . Gay red sticker on ur number plate lol

[PROS] Better around the city economy. Save some cash (eventually, over a couple of years). Helping the environment.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Hmmm can you not remove your petrol tank if you install a straight gas system??

Taxi's also run longer because they are always running => car doesnt get cold => engine always well lubricated with oil => less wear & tear
    Team Lonely Pilot #028

BUY MY INTEGRA NOW!!: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...hlight=blubber

Quote Originally Posted by blubber
    Taxi's also run longer because they are always running => car doesnt get cold => engine always well lubricated with oil => less wear & tear
    I think its also to do with associated driving style...BTW tho , ive seen plenty of taxis break down !

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    I am a qualified gas installer in NSW.
    Firstly, even tho LPG does have a higher Octane rating,(ie its ability to resist detonation), it does have a lower calorific rating(energy stored in the fuel)
    Which means to make decent/similiar power to petrol, you would require more LPG ingested by the motor. That is why hi-comp motors make more power.
    However, using an LPG Injection system sprays/injects the LPG under pressure into the engine, which means more power is made that way.
    V6 & V8's normally require a set of lower heat range spark plugs with a wider gap to regain most of their power.
    I have seen a Lexus 4.0 V8 with LPG Injection squirt out 400hp at the flywheel on a stock motor, which is scary.
    We have a 3 month waiting list at work for LPG conversions because the national & international demand has meant that LPG Converters are in short supply. It is a pain in the @ss but seeing as those idiots in Canberra are thinking of cutting the LPG subsidy, it may not be worth converting to LPG anyway(Think over $1 a litre)
    Something to think about huh?