Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Fog lights = for fog. Pointed down towards the road, good for fog, useless for anything else. If you regularly drive in fog, get fog lights.

Driving lights = for night driving. If you want more power from the lights, get driving lights. Hook 'em up so they only come on when you use high beam and get the kind that suit the lighting you want. There are several different types from short-range to rally lights, spread light and pencil beams. It all depends on what your lights are currently lacking.

Rear fog light. I really hate these things. People put 'em on when driving around town oblivious to the fact that they're blinding/distracting the driver behind them.

Just for a bit of extra punch and a nicer colour light, I'd get Phillips H4 replacement bulbs from Autobarn. They're cheap, give brighter light, better tone and dont blind the poor drivers coming in the other direction.

If it's just for cosmetic reasons, got whatever you like. Just dont turn them on in the city and make sure they're directed properly.

It might just be me, but I'd get them professionally installed. Or at least installed by someone who knew what they were doing... aka not me. I'd prefer not to be blowing globes every couple of weeks.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CRV & varied
    Vivski wrote: "Rear fog light. I really hate these things. People put 'em on when driving around town oblivious to the fact that they're blinding/distracting the driver behind them".

I go along with what you've said, and say the same actually in relation to most items in your post, but in relation to the rear fog light subject, I suggest drivers consider these, as does the European Transport Division, as 'the primary defence against rear-end collisions under poor visibility conditions'.

Blame the driver, not the light.

In effect, one should first consider a rear fog light before a set of front! Which are worthwhile in any case for any driver.

One of the reasons why the Australian market, American, NZ and a whole host of nations have the glare-behaviour problems with rear fogs is that for many years of their being operational on vehicles in use; existing driver training training manuals had absolutely no OR inadequate mention of them. Little wonder then complaints of glare.

This is changing, rapidly, and not just in relation to the rear fog light.

The matter is not helped by their typical OPTIONAL nature in the design rules of each nation, outside that of the EU where they are mandatory per a 'directive' issued with the ECE Regulation 38. Front fog lights are optional in all markets.

Education takes time, it would help if operational highway patrol would make greater effort at this education, to date, all driver handbooks now mention when rear fog lights may be used. It's just some do so more clearly.

V - I've added rear fog lights to police vehicles and a young g/f's new CRV Sport recently, see 'other Hondas' section.

Update: Take this link regarding a recent QLD fog crash:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200...htm?queensland

Regards.
    Last edited by Keepleft; 26-09-2005 at 10:44 PM.