Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1989 prelude SI

conversion v's engine

hey guys im going to need a new engine for my 3g prelude si 4ws...needing to know is it possible to just drop a vtec engine in h22a or do i need a complete conversion....one other question wat is the difference between a h22a engine and a h22a conversion one cost 1000 the other 4000...wat would be involved if i were to put a h22a in my car

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    the cheaper one is probably either a short or long block. So either just the engine block and head, or that plus gearbox. a conversion is probably a front cut. Which would include other stuff you'd need like ecu, exhaust manifold, intake and manifold.
    Last edited by Eclipsor; 18-10-2005 at 12:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 prelude SI
    so is it wise to just get a conversion or would just the engine still be able to work with no hassles or would i nees all new ecu...manifold and intake

Hold back...

Buying the engine for a h22a is worth more than $1000, expect to pay $3000 atleast... and than comes installing it, which requites custom mounts, new transmission, rewiring of absolutely everything, its a huge job, you also have to change your front suspension to suit with the different weight distribtion, often move your battery to the boot, you'll proberbly lose your air conditioning and the car will have alot of post op problems.

$10,000 would be reasonable terms for a proper h22a engine conversion.

Do a search, there's heaps involved.

If you've blown your head, your proberbly best fixing it... Or if its that serious, swap in a b20a, thats basically 'plug and play'.

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 prelude SI
    yeh i was juts reading the newest hot 4's magazine if anyone has it...on page 88 its a company called ICHIban performance engines located at moorebank...they are an importer...they state a Honda H22a 2.2L DOHC V-Tec FWD 201hp engine for $995 wen i think about this it states it is fwd so does that mean it wont suit the 3g prelude as it is 4ws or can it be done wif minor adjustments.....and btw dont the 3g ludes coem stock wif a b20a??????

Yes 3rd gens have a b20a6 as stock, hence thats why its the best engine to replace your dying engine with.

3rd gens are still FWD the coversion makes no difference to the 4WS...

$995 is VERY cheap for a h22a. Even a front cut, you'd have to question its quality.

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    dont bother with the h22a, way fo much freakin trouble really. Im pretty sure u can swap in a b16a with a bit of work, bust if really really want vtec in ur 3rd gen, best thing is to use a b20 block with a b16a head on it and make a frankenstien out of them. B20VTEC. Do you research on this forum and u will find most info u need, tinkerbell is the one to talk to on this.

I'd like info on this vtec hybrid. Cos you see, b20a6's don't share the 'frankenstein' family as other B series blocks, you cant just swap top and bottum end's, Not exacally sure why, its just what i read.

If tinkerbell would explain to us, that'd be tops.

"Partially unrelated to the Honda B-series engines are the B20A and B21A. By some, these are not considered to be part of the B-series group of engines because they are not compatible with any of the other B-series parts or chassis"

from wikipedia.
    Last edited by 91'lude; 18-10-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    Its possible, very possible.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...light=B20+VTEC

Check that link, its my post asking people to post up old sk00l ludes, and there is a bit of information on tinkerbells b20 vtec. PM tinkerbell if ya wanna know, usually the sharing type.

He done it on a 2nd gen's... Seems quite expensive actually. But i'd still like info on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    well from what i remember arent the mounts very similar, prehaps identical, so the chassis it is applied to wont really matter that much, maybe minimal things.

Yes it is expensive, and very unreliable if NOT done right, like most things. Tinkerbell will tell you that if its done by someone experienced she will be good as gold. The thing is that i think the stroke of the b20a causes some problems with high rpm applications.

I decided not to get a 3rd gen and build a b20 vtec as it was so expensive (that 8geez figure quoted in that thread i linked to, was DIY) and for a track car, which is what i want an eg civic with a worked b seriens engine would be better.

For some reason im also thinking that b16a's can be dropped into 3rd gen ludes with minimal work, anybody know about this?