Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    When i brake my steering wheel kinder shakes/move from side to side and i hear a rubbing/grinding noise when i brake.. im not sure if thats the best way to describe the noise.. please help not sure if its something serious or not.. what is the noise and why does my steering wheel do this when i brake? and what can i do to fix this problem.. thanks

vti-2 edit: updated title

It does this because the steering wheel is direclty connected to your wheels more or less- so you can "feel" and bumps, shudders etc through your steering.

Sounds like your disc rotors are unevenly worn...or warped. Take your car to a good mechanic , and hopefully all you will need is new brake pads. Possibly you will need your front rotors machined....or worse.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    yeah sounds like there is somethig wrong with your brakes. your wheel will probably move around like that if uneven force is being applied to your wheels.
    Get your brakes checked out and maybe get a wheel balance and alignment as well while you are at it and it should feel good as new =)

-2ds

Quote Originally Posted by 2ds
    Get your brakes checked out and maybe get a wheel balance and alignment as well while you are at it and it should feel good as new =)
    Definitely get a full wheel alignment after the brakes are checked.

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    yep, first off get a wheel alignment and wheel balance (does the steering wheel vibrate at cruising speeds too? if so your wheels need balancing).

it also sounds like your brake discs are warped.
    if they are warped, under braking it will vibrate the steering wheel.
    If your brakes were warped you can get them fixed by having them machined. if its really bad then you may need to replace the rotors.

go to a good wheel and suspension place and tell them the symptoms, they might want to drive your car to test it. they will have the best advice to fix it.

Chris

does matter if you phsyically go over a piece of uneven land tho right?.... coz my driveway is slightly uneven and when im going down the steering wheel moves a little ... bit like "force feedback" you experience through game steering wheels rofl... doesnt really happen while driving but....

mechanic should be able to sort it out if there is a problem though?
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16
    sounds to me like warped rotors..

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    your steering column is fine
    what you are feeling is relayed feedback from your brakes. They're sayin i need a wheel alignment and have the rotors checked for sligt warping.
    They may look fine to our eyes but you'll be surprized when they get machined.

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!