Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & AE86

Civic Axle Squeal

Hey guys i switched back to my stock rims from my 17's, on my ek1, and since then i've noticed a squeal, its not constant, it comes and goes and it starts up on acceleration or travelling at a constant speed, not when braking.

any one have idea's on what it could be?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    just check your brake pads arnt to worn.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5
    yeah i had a similar noise to yours and it ended up being the brake pads, the squeal is the warning to let u know

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    I had this start hapenning a couple months back and took it in to get checked. The mechanic said its eaither the brake pads or the actual disc rotors worn below their minimum. So i got everything changed and its all good now, no sqeaking at all, even when braking
    ^groundupgarage.com

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    EF8: i call her EFFY
    Your options are your brake pads are worn and its the pin in the pad now scratching you rotor to warn you your pads are almost or are dead. You could have a object stuck in between your pad and rotor although when you press the brakes it should shatter/sqaush the object and the object should then fall out. Your rotor could also be worn or damaged. Your caliper could be damaged or failing. Is your handbrake light constantly on you could be very low on brake fluid, it might not appear on but look when your going around a corner. Any ways there are many options just ask a mechanic to check it for you, i am certain its break pads tho. And if it is pads they are very easy to change and bed in yourself.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & AE86
    i uesd to have uneven pads, but i wore em down evenly. (it was shuddering before and now its not) hmm ok i'll check out the pads then,

would it still be the pads even tho it sqeuals during normal driving not braking?

I'm having a similar problem. When my car is in motion, there's this squealing / tiny bells shaking sound and it's annoying.

The sound is not as loud as the sound when your brakes are almost gone so I'm assuming it's got to do with my suspension but I'll have a look at the brakes.

Damn these noises!!

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by furiou5
    i uesd to have uneven pads, but i wore em down evenly. (it was shuddering before and now its not) hmm ok i'll check out the pads then,

would it still be the pads even tho it sqeuals during normal driving not braking?
    yes it is normal under every day driving for worn pads to squeel but once they are at this point they are really really low!!! also with the thought of it only starting when you put your rims on is the brake caliper touching anywhere inside the rim???? and is the rim securely on? take it off and look to see if the inside has a big scratch inside it if not its not the caliper and then as best you can evenly put the wheel back on. Also check that your brake line is working!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & AE86
    ok, no worries thanks,

my brakes are working perfectly tho, and my rims arn't rubbing anything at all, they only 14s

if not i'll just change my pads any way

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Just incase you dont know what to look for on your pad the wear indicator/s are just round bits of metal they will be about 4mm in diameter and they are very easy to distiguish from the meat of your pad as they are well metal lol.
    Also remember if one needs changing both need changing, other wise you will find that when you brake your car will want to pull ti the side with the newer pad.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & AE86
    hehe, ok yer i woulndt have only changed one side's pads any way.
    can you even buy pads seperately

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by furiou5
    can you even buy pads seperately
    yes