civic clutch trouble

hi guys,
    my girlfriends handa civic is having some clutch trouble.

The best way to describe it is...almost as if it has a dry pedal that needs some lube, when you release the pedal slowly the pedal seems to chatter/grind under your foot, it is not smooth at all. I am talking about the pedal feel before the friction point it's not clutch shudder, it's just that the pedal has a coarse type of feel as it comes back up under your foot. I'd imagine it feels similar to a warn clutch cable, but this is a hydraulic system.

car has done 120,000 kms any suggestions?

could it be the clutch or the hydraulic system?

thanks
    Steve

Member Array
    Car:
    Em1
    with a 120,000kms its probably the clutch... but get it checked first

thanks, anyone else have a suggestion? i am thinking it may be the master cylinder bcos it sometimes makes a creaking noise when u press on the clutch. Tested the clutch to find that it is not slipping.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    So its only when releasing (re-engaging) the clutch?

I'm thinking it is more likely the release fork /slave cylinder that needs lubrication.

As for the roughness, that could be either the release bearing or the pressure plate itself (ie the diaphram spring 'fingers')
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    I have similar symptoms in my accord and its done 100,000k's. I was told by a machanic that it was a spring inside the clutch and he tryed to oil it up but didnt owrk. He said it wasnt going to cause damage (except from the damage i cause with frustration). But anyhow, i plan on getting a new clutch :P

thank you everyone. I had a look this weekend so here is the update.

When the engine is off the clutch pedal feels fine, no noise, very smooth operation. so maybe the master and slave cylinders are ok?

when the engine is running there is a definite pulse under your foot as you release the clutch pedal, this is at the bottom and up to the friction point. I inspected the release fork while the engine was running and saw that it pulses back and forth.

There is a creaking noise when you push the pedal after the engine has heated up, i thought it was a master cylinder but after listening through a screw driver it sounds like it is coming from inside the housing for the clutch.

the clutch still works fine, for the moment, it just doesn't feel like it used too.

steve.

is it normal for the release fork to pulse?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    See my post above
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si
    if you press the clutch all the way in does the noise stop?

i think i know what your problem is bud, try the bearing on the drive shaft.