Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by fozee
    If you run the sub underpower you are more likely to cause it damage.

IMHO stay away from Kicker products.
    I had a two channel amp and Splits and they where sooo bad

For bass look for Earthquake, Orion, JL, Rockford Fosgate..... the list goes on

If your after top quality aural pleasure you cant go past DLS or Clarion.

I can hook up DLS, Clarion or Fusion products. All ligit. Garunteed a good price
    underpowering wont cause damage mate, its the clipping that the individual causes when turning the gains up that little bit too much that causes damage, due to the extra heat generated by the clipped signal. Underpowering on its own, with no clipping, wont cause damage.

DLS are a quality brand, i wouldn't lump clarion in there with them though...Clarion have some nice HU's, but not much else that can be in the same class as a DLS, Focal, Dynaudio, Orion etc

Member Array
    Sorry i meant to specify Clarion only for head units...
    i have a Clarion DRX9675z head unit and it is amazing!!!

Yeah i see your point but i was coming from a different angle.
    If youve got an undersize amp, and your trying to run it as hard as it will go to provide the power to the sub, then yes clipping and distortion of the signal will occur and that is what will damage the sub... bur out the voice coil

sorry should have explained it better

cheers poid

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    what about this JL10W0 amp for a hundred, the guy accepted, good buy or not?

Banned Array
    Car:
    Mud Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by Usual Suspect
    "Any good, let me know."

Cheers.
    Dude I use that in that 75.2 Kicker amp in my car to run my front splits.
    Mine puts out an non RMS value of 118 watts. The guy at the store says it puts out an rms value of about 20 wrms( simular to that of my existing head unit which is a 50 watt *4 pioneer.) I dunno what the output is bridged.... but im sure it isn't too much more :shock: It makes the splits sound better cause the chip inside the kicker amp is better than the head units. In my opinion i wouldn't use that amp to run a sub cause i could probley fart bigger bass notes than that amp could produce. my 2 cents

sava da money and get something good.
    btw here in perth I got a clarion 12 inch sub (new) and clarion 200.2 amp(new) for 299$ on special at westside car audio. and it cranks. (puts out 220 wrms BRIDGED. :P

see ya

Member Array
    For anyone thats interested or doesnt know:

conversion factor of Watts peak to peak to WRMS is .707

example:
    100 Watts pk is 70.7WRMS

i think that is right hehe

I still love HONDA! Array
    Car:
    Black8
    Quote Originally Posted by fozee
    For anyone thats interested or doesnt know:

conversion factor of Watts peak to peak to WRMS is .707

example:
    100 Watts pk is 70.7WRMS

i think that is right hehe
    I don't think that's correct. It all depends on the equipment. 1000W Boss amp doesn't make 707WRMS, not even close!
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Member Array
    'Boss'.......

Claimed is different to actual incar performance.
    Power Out depends on the load placed on the amp during testing and supply voltage and of course advertising techniques amongst other things.

Incar @ 12 Volts,

Bench tests are done @ 14.4 Volts, providing the amp with a higher DCC voltage therefore a higher Output Power.

This was taken from 'JAYCAR Electronics Forum'

** rms value
    Rms value of an AC sine wave is 0.707 times the peak value. This is the effective value of an AC sine wave. The rms value of a sine wave is the value of a DC voltage that would produce the same amount of heat in a heating element.

** watt
    Unit of electrical power required to do work at the rate of one joule per second. One watt of power is expended when one ampere of direct current flows through a resistance of one ohm. In an AC circuit, true power is the product of effective volts and effective amperes, multiplied by the power factor.

Im always open to learn if you have a different view,
    after all its how we learn

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    ** rms value
    Rms value of an AC sine wave is 0.707 times the peak value. This is the effective value of an AC sine wave. The rms value of a sine wave is the value of a DC voltage that would produce the same amount of heat in a heating element.
    Alternatively 1/SQRoot(2)

** watt
    Unit of electrical power required to do work at the rate of one joule per second. One watt of power is expended when one ampere of direct current flows through a resistance of one ohm. In an AC circuit, true power is the product of effective volts and effective amperes, multiplied by the power factor.
    A good old definition! but i'm not sure if this directly applies to manufacturers claims for a particular amp!?!?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    It help someone understand that Watts are simply a measure of power.
    Not something to go by with reference to your amps output.

How else can i say whatever the manufacturer rates your amp at is not a precise/acurate account of what it will actually pump out for a given load...

Car Audio mags that do amp reviews always compare the stated output to the output made by the amp on the bench.