Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ek004
    teh more lift and duration on cams means the possibility of an upgraded fuels system, Engine mgt and more than like likely higher compression to make use of these cool cams...

pending on teh applicaiton for your car you should make ur decision based on that...

good luck

and do correct me if im wrong

cheers
    Dave :wink:
    thats absolutely correct! as the breathing pattern alter dramaticly with upgraded camshafts, you will need at the very least a piggyback comp that will be able to alter fuel and air ratios, along with ignition timing....

So does that mean you can't just mod the cams by itself? Say if I wanted to upgrade my cams from stock VTi-R to Toda A, would I have to do the valve springs etc. as well?

And a price range, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SiR
    So does that mean you can't just mod the cams by itself? Say if I wanted to upgrade my cams from stock VTi-R to Toda A, would I have to do the valve springs etc. as well?

And a price range, anyone?
    yes you would need valve springs, retainers and a good port and polish!

U can put cams in your car without all the stuff, but u wouldnt be getting the most of of the cams, and there is a chance of valve float and a toasted motor if you over rev the motor...

pending on how agressive the camshaft, you will need to upgrade other components, VTEC heads are nice and big and pending on application you should not need to do much to the heads maybe just ageneral polishing will be adequate...

again it depends on what u want from your motor...

i think its best to chat with someone who has experience building motors
    and to determine what u want from your motorcar. And then work from there, in general do it once and do it proplerly save you money in teh long run

HTH..

do correct me if im wrong i wish not give any misleading information...

DAve

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Yes you will need a second set of Valve springs if you are using CTR / Jun / Toda or those new ef-1 cams. Currently non Type R DOHC VTEC heads have springs on one side of the valve train. You will need to swap these to the other side - by memory, exhaust, and place a new dual spring package to the intake side.
    I believe it was mentioned why and yes a set of tit. retainers will be needed to prevent the float.
    Also, look into getting a Spoon or Jun / whatever 2 ply head gasket. The will compliments the new cams as well as giving you a lift in compression.

btw, those ef-1 cams ... how much are they ?

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    thread resurrection time...

With Regards to CTR/ITR Camshafts in a B16a

the internet has a multitude of opinions

1. You need to change all springs and retainers
    2. You dont need to change retainers, but u need to change springs, move double intakes springs to teh exhaust and get new double springs (TYPE-R) for the Intake
    3. You dont need to change nething, juts slot them in and dont rev past ur stocke b16a 8400 rev limiter

Can someone tell me whihc #1 or #2 or #3 is true

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    thread resurrection time...

With Regards to CTR/ITR Camshafts in a B16a

the internet has a multitude of opinions

1. You need to change all springs and retainers
    2. You dont need to change retainers, but u need to change springs, move double intakes springs to teh exhaust and get new double springs (TYPE-R) for the Intake
    3. You dont need to change nething, juts slot them in and dont rev past ur stocke b16a 8400 rev limiter

Can someone tell me whihc #1 or #2 or #3 is true
    No2 is correct if you are going to use ITR/CTR or Toda Spec A cams and No 3 is very close to the money but as you have all read 100's of times to get the best out of the cams you need to look at the tuning and the complete combination of the engine.
    ALLMTR996
    The life of a 4 stroke engine
    It sucks it squeezes it bangs it blows

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    ah so 2 is preferable but 3 is "passable?"

my piggyback cant even break the factory rev-limiter, so is there any real point to get double springs on one side when i cant even tune them that way?

Member Array
    Car:
    rx8, fd1 civic
    man, after u finish u will have a monter!

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    Be prepared to fork out $$$ for the Jun 3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    I meant in comparison to the Jun 2's and the Skunk's...

:P
    just to clear things up the JUN Type 1, 2 and 3 camshafts are the same price

Type 0 is slightly cheaper but does not require an aftermarket ECU.
    ...the return of

Member Array
    yeh i've heard good things abuot toda gear also

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    Quote Originally Posted by 8100rpm
    man, after u finish u will have a monter!
    are u referring to me?| nah...she wont be a monster...just a aggravated little girl

so can someone please tell do i need doubel coil springs for CTR cams or not?

there are too many opinions, most ambiguous... i jsut wanna know whether its reasonable to use stock springs in the valvetrain provided i dont want to rbeak my rev limiter