Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda keys

How exactly does this red Honda ket thing work?

I ahve a 1996 Civic and want to geta spare key made up and the owners' manual say something about having to take the newly cut key plus the red key to a Hinda service centre to get it programed,

But the black key I have has no battery in it that I can see. Can't I just get a blank from Mr Minit etc and use that, or do I need a ripoff Honda blank? :?

If it doesnt have a Peugeot style immobiliser chip in it, u can use any blank key

It has not buttons/lights on it.

Thanks

some honda keys have an immobiliser chip built in to the plastic moulding, which means if u go down to mr mint and get a key cut and try to use that...the car wont start. What you have to do is go down to honda service centre and they'll cut u a new key and programme the chip in the new key.

Cheers'
    Sam

Hmm - maybe mine is embedded, even though externally it look like a normal key. Bit I suppose that it does have it - why else would the previous owner have an owner's manual wellet with this spedicla red key in a blister pack?

Anyone know how much the Honda service centrs charges for this to be done?

The newer Honda keys don't need any buttons or lights on them to have a chip. The keys we have for our EK look normal with the Honda logo engraved and they have a chip installed inside.

Member Array
    Car:
    LS Teg
    on a side question, when i bought my car, it only came with a unoriginal key. am i able to get a honda key made up so that i can have my very own special H key? do i have to go to a honda centre to get it done?

You have the EG right?

There's not much Honda will do apart from charge you a shit load to get a proper Honda casing. :roll:

so what exactly does the red key do for ek's? :P
    フジタエンジニアリング

the red keys have the original immobiliser codes in them.....i think ops:

AFAIK you are meant to get two keys with chips. One will do everything apart from start the car (i.e. open all the doors, click over to accessories) and the other one functions normally (will actually start the car).

all the honda keys are just normal keys!

the only difference is that with the red one you cannot start the car! only open it !