Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JZX100 S2 Chaser, DC4, S5
    here we go, its a bit dark but crank your speakers!!!

Click here to watch 180-gate

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6, DC5R
    I heard a BOV on a Jap GT car while watching a DVD (think High Octane). It was yellow R34 GT-R from a Jap engineering shop. Sounded like metal hitting metal (in a good way). Nothing like I've heard before. Totally diff to the HKS, Apexi, Turbosmart, Greddy's etc. Anyone know what that is?

Moderator - here to help Array
    Quote Originally Posted by A.G.System
    You

The tu tu tu noise is ment to mimic an internal wastegated turbo or wastegate flutter as they call it.
    the 'tu tu tu tu' noise is from the actuator wastegate, or otherwise known as the above.
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyBear
    Meh, bov's are so 2005, lol.

IMO external wastegate and a screamer at WOT. Cant beat it, sounds ferocious, if someone can tell me how to post up a video i've got one of a 550hp 180sx at WOT with external gate and screamer, sounds the shit!!
    and highly illegal too

Quote Originally Posted by joyride
    the 'tu tu tu tu' noise is from the actuator wastegate, or otherwise known as the above.
    What the **** is an "actuator wastegate". The noise has nothing to do with the wastegate. It is the compressed air slipping past the compressor blades as it is still rotating.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm16
    I heard a BOV on a Jap GT car while watching a DVD (think High Octane). It was yellow R34 GT-R from a Jap engineering shop. Sounded like metal hitting metal (in a good way). Nothing like I've heard before. Totally diff to the HKS, Apexi, Turbosmart, Greddy's etc. Anyone know what that is?
    you should have heard the indy cars a few years back exactly what your sayin. we stay on track an the sound is so bad u have to get away for a while somtimes.but you could still hear then for miles sounded like metal could not make sutch a big noise without something breaking

Quote Originally Posted by string
    What the **** is an "actuator wastegate". The noise has nothing to do with the wastegate. It is the compressed air slipping past the compressor blades as it is still rotating.
    sorry its the wastegate actuator, and if you dont know what it is, you can google it noob.

Quote Originally Posted by joyride
    sorry its the wastegate actuator, and if you dont know what it is, you can google it noob.
    So please explain to me how it can possibly make a noise even remotely sounding like air rushing through a hole, if it does not come in contact with any air in the charge pipes?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra Type R
    just get a turbosmart andjustable bov so you can make it sound however you want.

Newcomer Array
    lol. When on the throttle the turbo spools up and compresses air forcing it into the throttle body. When the throttle is let off the throttle body flap closes and the air being forced into the throttle body basically hits a brick wall (throttle body flap) causing pressure to build and the air is pushed back through the turbo blades . As the air gets pushed back through the blades it goes "tu tu tuu tuu".

A wastegate actuator is used to limit boost. There's a hole on the exhaust side of a turbo which is covered by a flap which is connected to a rod which is connected to the wastegate actuator. A turbo uses exhaust gases to spin the turbos fin on the exhuast side, so (on most stock Nissans) when 7psi is reached the wastegate actuator pushes the rod which opens the flap so that the exhaust gases flow out the hole instead of continuing to spin the fins which prevents the turbo from creating more boost.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    and what you tryin to say

Member Array
    Car:
    JZX100 S2 Chaser, DC4, S5
    ^^^wastegate prevents overboost, which even though it sounds really cool in "warp speed doctor spok" kind of way, is really, really bad for your engine. Detonation anyone?!?

lols Benny.