DC5R Engine Rotation

From the old B series engines, the K20A engine rotation was changed from "wrong way" to the "right way".

However, I noticed the intake manifold is now on the front rather than the back.

So the question is, looking at the car from the front, does the engine actually rotate to the different way a B series does?
    And did they swap the side of the gearbox? ie swivel the engine 180 degrees? And what side does the gearbox sit on from a front on view?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2 & DC4
    yeah man its just completely turned around, and rotates clockwise now so the car doesnt have 6 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.. like engine is on drivers side in dc5, gbox on passenger side.. b series is round the other way

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    The new Honda engines are configured this way because of emissions, this configuration allows the exhaust manifold to be closer to the cat con to allow the cat to warm up faster as the cat needs to be warmed up in order for it to work.
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 23-01-2006 at 05:36 AM.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2002 Renault Clio Sport
    there has gotta be more to it then just that?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    you got it wrong

the engine now turns the wrong way, where it used to turn the right way before

I am sure B series turns the wrong way, and K series turns the right way.

Maybe still the wrong way though because the intake manifold is on the other side?

Can DC5 owners do me a favour, and pop the engine bay open, and give the throttle a few stabs and let me know which way the engine tilts to?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_PEA
    there has gotta be more to it then just that?
    Nope, he's spot on. Emissions only.

The newer Honda engines are the 'wrong' way around - East/West as compared to the traditional West/East.

Yeah they are the wrong way around but we were talking about which way the engine actually spins

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2 & DC4
    i've heard a few ideas about why they changed the configuration... some say that with older b series honda's, the engine was on the passenger side to counteract the weight of the driver.. now with the newer cars, they sell so many in LHD driving countries that they put it around the other way... to keep all the americans happy but yeah other cars that have the exhuast manifold on the front, often have the cat right up there in front of the engine aswell, so it heats up quick to aid emissions.. honda could have done that if that was the only reason to change the whole layout..... i dunno hey.. just sayin what ive heard

Well, I know that with the older lancer's, and the engine/gearbox layout was like Honda B series engines, Mitsubishi changed it around and could make a stronger gearbox by doing this. Also reduce torque steer.

Maybe same deal with the honda's?
    But, the cat thing may be true too as Honda seems to be taking the green approach to things.

Anyway, this has gone way out off topic!
    What I really want to know is how the engine spins in the DC5R because I want to use the 6 speed gearbox if possible... and at this stage I am quite happy with a single reverse gear and don't really want 6 of them with 1 forward gear