Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worn synchro?

i
    Quote Originally Posted by AMPERAGE
    Have you checked your geabox oil? Sometimes simply changing it can make the world of difference in cutting down noise and making the whole lot feel smoother.

The reason that I suggest oil is because my 5th was a little sticky and made a little noise too. I dumped the old gearbox oil, filled it back up with Motul GEARBOX 80W-90 and problem solved. It also made the rest of the gears feel silkier too. Just an idea is all...
    I just got the car a couple of weeks ago and have only changed oil and oil filter. Have not done anything else because the car came with logs and apparently, the gear box oil has been replaced just 20,000 km ago.
    The service manual says replacement of gear box oil should occur at 40,000 intervals so i have not even thought about it.

I will give the gear box a flush and refill. What kind of oil should i use? Genuine Honda or are there better alternatives that arent too pricey?

Should i also replace the clutch fluid, or just the tranmission fluid alone?

EDIT. A better descrption of the problem.
    The clicking sound happens at low speeds/low revs in 1st, 2nd, and Reverse gears. It is not just one click, can be 2 or three successive clicks.
    Noise is not noticeable with wndows up, but really noticeable when windows are down. The sound seems to be coming from the front right region of the bonnet/wheel.
    Last edited by jaffa_cree; 18-01-2006 at 06:00 PM.

I got a friend to drive my car to see if the clicking noise is still there.
    He is a more competant manual driver so i was hoping that it was due to the way i drive that causes the clicking noises.

When he drives it, the clicking noise is less frequent and also not as pronouced. When i drive it, it appears almost every time and sounds quite loud.

I finally have some time and will be bringing it to my mechanic this weekend.
    Thanks all.

My dad took it for a drive, but when he drove it the clicking noise was not there at all !!! His explanation was that it is due to the way i drive.

Now, i am new to manual and still learning everytime i drove it.
    When i start off in 1st, it will jerk and sputter abit, this is when i hear the clicking noise. After i shift into 2nd and release the clutch, it jerks abit and the noise appears again.

After that, my dad believes that the noise is appearing because it is related to the way i drive, being i release the clutch too early. It makes sense because the sound appears when it is jerky/sputtering.

However, is it normal for this clicking noise to only appear due to the way i drive? I was going to take it to the mechanic but my dad says it should be fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    I guess you've diagnosed your own problem. Just try to be smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by racinghonda
    I guess you've diagnosed your own problem. Just try to be smoother.
    So driving technique can be the issue here?

I mean, even if i am not smooth, YES the car will sputter, but making very audible clicking noises, is that normal?

EDIT. any ideas of what is causing that noise then?
    Last edited by jaffa_cree; 25-01-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 VTi-R Prelude
    How old are you mate? Fresh on your "P" plates?

The Prelude is not that hard a car to drive, however you need to be much more precise in it than, say, a Mitsubishi Lancer. I got my Prelude before I had my P plates, and I found it a lot harder to drive than my instructor's manual Echo, or my friends manual Lancer.

The spluttering that you're getting is the car bogging down - clutch out too fast with not enough revs and the car wants to stall. And as for the clicking, if you're letting the clutch out prematurely, the synchros, rather than slotting in nicely, might only be touching by the tips and they get "pulled" together by the engine revs. I think I know the sound you mean, if something else has my attention when I'm driving and clutch out before I've fully engaged the gear, I get a bit of a clicking / clanking sound.

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    The clicking can be due to the engine being on the verge of stalling. It can also just be the slight amount of play in the drivetrain and your driving just emphasises it. Try to modulate the clutch more finely and don't be afraid to use a few more revs. You should try to hold the clutch at the friction point for a short period before letting it out all the way, this gives the engine a chance to match road speed before you let it fully engage.

The Prelude's engine is a low inertia one, with low friction internals, relatively light fly wheel so its easier to stall than other more agricultural engines. Also, its very responsive which makes driving it smoothly a practiced skill.

Quote Originally Posted by AMPERAGE
    How old are you mate? Fresh on your "P" plates?

The Prelude is not that hard a car to drive, however you need to be much more precise in it than, say, a Mitsubishi Lancer. I got my Prelude before I had my P plates, and I found it a lot harder to drive than my instructor's manual Echo, or my friends manual Lancer.

The spluttering that you're getting is the car bogging down - clutch out too fast with not enough revs and the car wants to stall. And as for the clicking, if you're letting the clutch out prematurely, the synchros, rather than slotting in nicely, might only be touching by the tips and they get "pulled" together by the engine revs. I think I know the sound you mean, if something else has my attention when I'm driving and clutch out before I've fully engaged the gear, I get a bit of a clicking / clanking sound.
    I wish i am still that young! *sigh*
    This is the first time i am driving manual since driving auto boxes for 7 years. We are learn at some stage dont we

I took my friends charade for a drive, and found that was so much easier to drive than the lude. But i guess nothing a few more hours and practice cant perfect. I only have been driving manual for say a tad over 2 hours.

Atleast now i can be relaxed that it aint some major problem, though i still will be getting some mechanical advice from a garage soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra jdm conversion
    pull ur box apart and lap the synchro with lapping past!
    it will work for a while!

u