Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    man sorry to hear such upset thing happened to u and ur brand new euro lux...
    yeah i would convince to have a written-off but be realistic... its very hard as the insurance company will try to fix it as much as they could before declear a total-loss...
    just make sure everything will be fixed to ur satisfication and the steering and suspension will be as good as they were...
    just like the saying my parents always told me...
    " Driving is not only to avoid ourself to hit someone... but also to avoid someone will might come to hit you.."

o4 Euro... [EUROTIC] Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Luxury
    there is no way that should be a writeoff.

The repairs will be fine, you're in with the guy doing the work, u and ur wife are ok... cant ask for much more, your car will be fine

(BTW its still sad to see)
    [EUROTIC]
    04 Euro Luxury.... now retired

OH GOSH!

I hate that so much.. when car is still quite new and someone else is so careless.

Sometimes I swear when another car is just about to hit me (or have hit me) I wanted to steer it to an angle so that it hits something else and it'll become a write-off, during that split second decision... but I'm afraid I'll misjudge and kill myself as well or got the car damaged more, but still not a write off!

DAMN...!!!
    GET SOME NEW WHEELS OR KIT, make yourself happier

Anyway, its great to hear that you and your wife are both fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Luxury Accord Euro

Unhappy

Damn that hurts! Same color as my 05 milano red luxury, I would cry if that happened to my car so I can imagine how you and your missus are feeling As long as you are both ok then everything else is fixable!

How did the car react with the airbags etc? Did it help much?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

We're still a little upset about it -- but it's happened, so there's no point in worrying about it. So much for parking well away from other cars to protect my doors!

The seat airbag and the curtin airbag went off, but not the steering wheel. Interestingly, I don't think his wheel airbag went off -- but I couldn't see anything past my pretty pink curtain! My wife had mild whiplash, some bruises from the seat belt and it turns out she has a hairline fracture in her elbow where she banged it. I was just a bit sore and my ear was stinging from the airbag (it knocked one of the lenses out of my sunglasses) -- so, yes, I reckon the bags do make a difference, and they're definitely worth it.

Previously, I don't think I would have paid for extra airbag options; now I definitely would. Not only do they stop from banging your head, but (if your windows weren't tinted) I imagine that in a bad accident, they'd stop you from being covered in broken glass.

You think that you're a good careful driver, but sometimes things just come out of nowhere that you can't do anything about. It's just bad luck...

I didn't go off at the bloke because he was pretty shaken up and very apologetic -- it doesn't do anything to help the situation and just makes it all the more uncomfortable for everyone. Interestingly, when I went to the police station to report it, she asked, "Was he old?" -- I reckon he was late 50s-early 60s -- and she told me that he was involved in an accident just 2 months before!

At first I hoped that the damage was extensive enough for them to write off the car. Going through it with the repairer, I feel much less worried about the car not being the same. I think of it this way: so long as the chassis and all the mounting points haven't moved or been weakened then it shouldn't be a problem. It's stock panels and suspension components that are going back into the car, so there's no reason for the car not to be just as it was.

The repairer guarantees his work (and he even brought up the fact that anything he does has to be up to Honda's warranty standards), and the insurance company guarantee the work, so I'm not so worried about it being a cheap dodgy job -- and I'm picky!

Like I say, sometimes things happen that you just can't do anything about -- and I'm just glad it wasn't any worse. At the end of the day, as much as I love it, it's still just a car...

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Luxury Accord Euro

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tobster
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

We're still a little upset about it -- but it's happened, so there's no point in worrying about it. So much for parking well away from other cars to protect my doors!

The seat airbag and the curtin airbag went off, but not the steering wheel. Interestingly, I don't think his wheel airbag went off -- but I couldn't see anything past my pretty pink curtain! My wife had mild whiplash, some bruises from the seat belt and it turns out she has a hairline fracture in her elbow where she banged it. I was just a bit sore and my ear was stinging from the airbag (it knocked one of the lenses out of my sunglasses) -- so, yes, I reckon the bags do make a difference, and they're definitely worth it.

Previously, I don't think I would have paid for extra airbag options; now I definitely would. Not only do they stop from banging your head, but (if your windows weren't tinted) I imagine that in a bad accident, they'd stop you from being covered in broken glass.

You think that you're a good careful driver, but sometimes things just come out of nowhere that you can't do anything about. It's just bad luck...

I didn't go off at the bloke because he was pretty shaken up and very apologetic -- it doesn't do anything to help the situation and just makes it all the more uncomfortable for everyone. Interestingly, when I went to the police station to report it, she asked, "Was he old?" -- I reckon he was late 50s-early 60s -- and she told me that he was involved in an accident just 2 months before!

At first I hoped that the damage was extensive enough for them to write off the car. Going through it with the repairer, I feel much less worried about the car not being the same. I think of it this way: so long as the chassis and all the mounting points haven't moved or been weakened then it shouldn't be a problem. It's stock panels and suspension components that are going back into the car, so there's no reason for the car not to be just as it was.

The repairer guarantees his work (and he even brought up the fact that anything he does has to be up to Honda's warranty standards), and the insurance company guarantee the work, so I'm not so worried about it being a cheap dodgy job -- and I'm picky!

Like I say, sometimes things happen that you just can't do anything about -- and I'm just glad it wasn't any worse. At the end of the day, as much as I love it, it's still just a car...
    Regarding the elderly driver of the other car, maybe he should be sent to do a driving test or at least a refresher course? Especially if this is the second accident he has been involved in in 2 months!

You are right, there is nothing you can do about it, unless you park your car in the garage and never take it out there is always a chance something like this is going to happen no matter what precautions you take! I try to park well away from everyone at shopping centres etc but in regards to driving in traffic there isn't much you can do.

I was almost involved in an accident on the way to Geelong last weekend, I was minding my own business traveling in the right lane when this big 4wd decided it was going to merge into my lane without checking his blind spot, well he was merging right where my Euro was! He got half way across, I had to veer to the right and almost onto the grass and jumped on the horn, he moved back to his lane really fast and put his arms up in the air in appology. Can you imagine the damage a 4wd of that size would have done if he clipped me? That made my heart beat pretty fast so I can imagine what you were going through actually being hit!
    Last edited by Thorn2004; 01-02-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Lux 5AT
    Toby,
    Gees mate, sorry to hear about and see the pics of your car. What a byiatch. Oh well it happens I suppose, but it's not nice when it does. At least you and the missus are ok. Who are you using for a repairer?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    What Insurance company are you with?

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    4 weeks old and the car got hit ........ i can feel you
    make sure the work is done properly

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one
    Who are you using for a repairer?
    We're using Allan Doyle's at Holden Hill. He's been around for years and has a good rep. They're a Quality Endorsed company and have a 3 year warranty on their work. Allan himself was doing the assessment and went through the car with me. A mate (both he and his father have worked in the industry for years) suggested that the best ones up our end of town were Doyle's and Kersbrook. Doyle's is just down the road from my wife's work, so it was more convenient.

The car's insured through CUNA Mutual (through the Credit Union) who are new in Australia, but so far it hasn't been a problem. They also warranty the repairs for as long as I own the vehicle and it remains insured through them. The bloke who hit me is insured with AAMI, so there shouldn't be any problems there either.

CUNA were happy for me to pick who I wanted to repair it (no multiple quotes required because they're not paying). The repairer does an assessment, and apparently CUNA insist on sending their own assessor as well -- which slows things down, but you get a second opinion. I don't know if AAMI will send a rep too. Either way, it's just easier to go ahead and get what I want and let the two insurance companies argue it out (rather than me arguing with AAMI) without me paying for anything...
    Last edited by Tobster; 02-02-2006 at 11:08 AM.

You may want to look at an Authorised Honda Repair Centre, I know in Victoria Courtney and patterson Honda in Heidelberg has got a body shop. Then you can assure all honda parts will be used. no after market stuff.