Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    How long ago was the RAV4 motor fitted? Cause I am pretty sure the rule has been in effect for around 12 months to comply with new EPA laws on import engines.
    It was about 4 years ago.. im not sure if things have changed - you proabably right...

But its better ,as mentioned to check with the RTA... rules change... assistance is only 20 cents away
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    How long ago was the RAV4 motor fitted? Cause I am pretty sure the rule has been in effect for around 12 months to comply with new EPA laws on import engines.

iwkyb: I really think you should call the RTA and speak to an engineer before proceeding with any swap. I prefer to call atleast 3 different people on the RTA advice line, because no 2 staff have ever given me the same answer for any question.

The RTA needs a new engine number for their database, the Blue Slip Adjustment of Records is designed to do that. To get the BSAoR, you need an emissions test if the motor is from an imported vehicle.

I know it is a stupid rule, as my friend fitted a JDM S14 SR20DET to his S14 200SX but the RTA/Police/NRMA screwed him when a Falcon merged into his lane.
    I only got my motor swapped in about 7 months ago and when i got mine done i rang the rta and spoke about any issues i would run into and the guy i spoke to said there is no worries as long as capacity hasn't increased over say .3ltr and as long as the engine bay didn't need modifying to fit it in then its ok.. He said they don't bother with emissions from japanese import motor's because the emision laws are more strict in japan then they are here any way.. When my car got it's blue slip and such done they didn't check emissions or anything like that, it was more just a quick look at the engine mounts to make sure the motor was secure and that was it..

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Japan has one of the LEAST strict emission laws in the world but most of it emissions problems are in the ECU. Having it certified for emissions(which I am sure a DC5 would) would be a bonus when you go to the RTA/Engineer or get hassled by the Police

Every engineer I have spoken to says that an import engine requires a emissions test, regardless of whether your fitting a import SR20DE to a SSS Pulsar or whatever other engine you want to fit.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

In the ACT, if you are putting an engine into a car, that the same model car was available for sale, you don't need engineering, just change of details.
    So, seeing as there is a DC5R here it wouldn't matter. Also doesn't the normal DC5 come with a K20 something? So even better.
    I know because when a friend did a B16A swap into his EG civic GL, they said that if Aus had ever delivered a B16A EG Civic he wouldn't need to engineer it. However Aus never did... right?

Member Array
    Car:
    VX II SS, 75 HJ 355
    Yep that's right Spetz, I had to have my B16A EG engineered because the motor wasn't available in the EG chassis in Australia. But yea, once engineered, just had to have the rego details changed.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    i like jimmeh's idea of changing the head and the header.

the rest of it is a waste of time and money.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda Integra
    I am not too worried getting it engineered any ways...... at the end of the day, it is something that can be solved by money.

Changing the head allows you to run the JDM ECU and full use of the I-Vtec system but the engine will still lack in compression and other shit like that.

I guess it is much better to do it right and complete the first go, saves workshop time and money.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    i had no problems with my swap. I got a blue slip done and the engine numbers changed. The mechanic who did it is known around the traps for being a hard ass when it comes to blue slips but he said himself that there was no issues regarding an f22b to h22a swap as long as it was all done properly ( which it was ) so it all worked out good.

What does an engineer's certificate cost roughly ??

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    I got my most recent engine conversion engineers certificate for $750 including emissions test
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    whats this blue slip u guys are talking about? I just went to the RTA and got the engine number changed. That was it, they only checkec the serial number on the block and changed it for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA6K20A CD5H23T
    The emmissions test is free. You just need to call up the RTA and make an appointment at either Penrith or Botany. Engineers will ask for one if it is an import engine.