Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS

Stuttering engine at low and really high RPMS (91 Integra)

Hey guys.
    Im trying to sell my friends 91 Integra LS but lately i have noticed that the engine will stutter quite badly at low and really high rpms when under load. For example, when you are about to take off in first gear (this is a manual transmission by the way) if you dont rev the car above 3000rpms it will stutter and just not have any power, it does this through all the gears anything below 2500rpms. The car is fitted with a 2 and quater inch exhaust with headers, could it be a compression problem? Or, this may sound ridiculous, but I went through the automatic car wash the other day, and it had an undercarriage wash, could this have flooded some component somewhere?? Water in the exhaust?? I have noticed when it stutters that there is some moisture being spat out of the muffler... I have checked the air filter and its fine. Also it only seems to stutter after the car has warmed up, it drives fine when cold...

Very strange.. Very concerned please help me out someone!!!

Cheers

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Are you using 98 octane petrol?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ej2 dx civic coupe
    having the same problem, check for codes first man, i didnt and replaced loadsa things that wasnt relevent, check for codes, trust me

maybe electrical - dizzy cap/rotor is iffy ? Spark plug leads need replacing / spark plugs too ? Fuel filter is bad ?
    Those are cheap things so replace them first and see if it helps y0 !

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    does it sound like broken engine mounts?

Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS
    do u have the air-con on? coz when my air con is on my engine dies (coz of the exstra belt being used) and it has no power thus shudders and acts like iuts about to die
    The Pain Of Discipline Is Far Less Than The Pain Of Regret

Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS
    Ok ill answer as many questions as possible... firstly though, how do i check the ecu codes, i read the article for the civic but couldnt find the right plug or it wasnt working (a plug with brown and green wires coming from it but it wasnt plugged into anything in the first place). Is there a different way. It happens when air con is on or off doesnt matter. And i wouldnt know what broken engine mounts sound like but i dont think it would be that. I recently put Mobil Premium Unleaded in the car dont think its quite 98 octane but does it matter, its not JDM. And i am taking the car in for a service on thursday so I will mention the shuddering and see what they think, just though i would get some oppinions straight up. Cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DA6
    Have you tried spraying WD40 around the plugs? Strange it'll only be a problem when hot.
    You mentioned it is throwing lots of moisture out of the exhaust. If the engine is warm and been in use for 10 minutes or so, there shouldn't be any further condensation. If it is still throwing out water, then check the color and if it has a smell as it could be coolant. It'll be a whitish with a strong sweet coolant smell. You could also check the radiator fluid level too but twisting off the cap, BUT ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD.
    Last edited by kronjp; 13-02-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    checked your o2 sensor? could be on its way out.
    altho i'm thinking ecu issue.
    Have you checked the ECU as this sounds like limp mode.

Member Array
    Car:
    '91 Integra DA9
    Heyaa... Try this website.. http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/engine/13.html
    Tells u how to EASILY check for ECU codes and tells u every single one of them.

I get light shutters wen idling.. well atleast i think i do.. soo small but i dont know wat it is yet.. if u figure it out obviously let everyone know so that it will be of some help to other in the future.

Member Array
    Car:
    LS INTEGRA
    Check the igniter inside the distributor..also check distributor shaft bearings if engine light flicking on..when the bearings wear it creates excessive side play at the distributor shaft which removes the air-gap required at the sensor/s at the bottom of the dizzy.

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    I wonder why it'd only happen once it was warmed up?

If it clears up at 3000rpm I'd say it's probably not the fuel filter. Could be your dizzy though, or sparks, or leads. I'd say it was something to do with the choke, but it's EFI... Hrm... Perhaps the ECU is messing up? Something wrong with the loom? I know the ECU does things a bit different before you reach operating temperature. Higher RPM, and I think it ups the A/F ratios. Perhaps once it switches to your normal running map, something is stuffing up?

Definatly check the codes.
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds