Thread: radiator fluid

radiator fluid

hey i kno this probbeen covered for others but i couldn't find relevent in search

car started to overheat last nite
    turned out to be no fluid in radiator caused hiss sound like steam from engine
    first i thought it could be a burst pipe looked today couldn't find anything

then filled up and took for drive to get temp up
    when i got home i found a steady small stream of water coming from

within the circle was hissing
    approx where the arrow is but slightlty furthey down(not on top of engine block) about 10-20 cm from top
    thewater was leaking

is this the sign of a head gasket problem or thermostat????

o yea obviously it aint good but wondering aswell how much performance wise would this be contributing to as i not sure how long it been happenin not long i think but i noticed my car been havin trouble changing down from 2nd to 1st in my auto (likes to sit in 2nd and get revs up that way

could this be realted to head gasket and compression issues?? or jus gearbox
    any help would be good thanks alot
    Last edited by stanleym; 26-02-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Member Array
    More like where the upper hose is connected? I bet it is. If so drain the fluid and pull the hose. Then pull off the housing that holds that hose on and put a new gasket on or use gray Loctite. I have 3 gaskets on my car because I use the gray Loctite, never have a blown gasket anymore unless it's the head, intake mani, or exhaust mani that blows!

Might also be the heater hose connector, then just some white teflon plumbers tape will work.

Last edited by Slow96GSR; 26-02-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    VW MKV R32
    this MAY not have anything to do with it....but get a mechanic to check the condition of your water pump....could help the overheating problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Integra Type R.
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore
    Sounds more like a water pump gone bad. They have a small hole drilled into the casing where the shaft from the belt goes into the block. When the pump goes bad water and or steam will come out this hole. Find your water pump and follow the shaft back from your pulley and you should find a small drilled hole, check to see if the water/steam is coming from the hole. If the water is coming out the hole your water pump is gone replace it.
    Yeah, But the water pump's at the other end of the Motor...hehehe.

I already suggested, Remove the Hose and houseing.... change Gasket. But I woudn't go over-board,( as discribed above ) It a weak link. Much better for that to let go, than the Head Gasket...big $$$$$.

Later

thanks for replies i dont think it is coming out from an opening as in either of those pipes it sorta looks like it a just leaking froma gap where engine joins to another spot

i taking it to mechanic today soo ill let u kno what it was