Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobster
    It's a little off topic, but as someone who works in communications and publishing (print and internet) and is fairly familiar with copyright, I don't believe that publishing a scanned page from a magazine falls into the "fair use" category for numerous reasons. It could possibly be argued, but I think you're on very thin ice and I wouldn't recommend it. If Wheels wanted to get stroppy about it, then the owners of this board could get themselves into trouble for knowingly distributing copyright material IMO (just look at Kazaa). Not meaning to be difficult, just trying to be helpful...
    Lets take to PM as it is off topic. Perhaps we can discuss whether it falls within the criticism and review exemption. It is also arguably not a substantial part of the copyright work.

What was surprising was how the semi-slick cladded STI didn't fare too well with the G-Force test compared to other cars, because from Best Motoring vids that test them, they are used to getting above 0.90G ... hmm.. but anyway, still no denying that the Euro Accord with 0.86G did pretty well considering its stock 17" tyres! I would have loved to see the Integra Type S tested as having test driven that as well as the Euro, the Type S handles in and out of corners even much better IMO and there is no trace of understeer or traction problem when throttling out of the corner, even without LSD. Weird since in the Type R DC5, you can pick up some understeer before the LSD pulls it out nicely! I actually think the handling test wasn't conclusive enough because after turning in quick with the Euro, even though its very well balanced, you cannot apply more throttle until way after the apex unlike the Integra Type S and Type R, otherwise the inside wheel pushes it understeer. That is major difference between it and the Type S when I test drove them side by side.

Perhaps I'm asking too much from a family sedan though

Bloody MX-5 if it had more power, would be killing the Boxster! 0.96G, unheard of in stock convertible's neutral balance in street tyres - even better than the much lighter Lotus Elise and also the M3, EVO and Boxster. Wonder how the S2000 will compare with the MX-5.... for some reason Aust Journalists tend to think the S2000 is too twitchy on the limit, whereas the Japanese guys don't think of it this way!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The skidpan test doesn't involve putting a huge amount of throttle down. What you do is get the car going in a circle, with adequate throttle. You increase the speed slowly until you reach a limit and you get higher Gs by going faster in a circle of a fixed diameter. In this test, throttle is just adequate to maintain the speed and not accelerate. So an LSD won't help in this test. Instead, it is chassis stability that decides the result. But remember, good chassis stability can mean sluggish turn in as well.

If you want a test for cornering and throttle application at the same time, you have to look at the slalom test.

Slalom: (fastest to slowest)
    EVO IX: 26.05 secs (49.76 km/h)
    Boxster: 26.15 secs (49.57 km/h)
    STi: 26.25 secs (49.38 km/h)
    MX-5: 26.29 secs (49.30 km/h)
    M3: 26.79 secs (48.38 km/h)
    350Z: 26.81 secs (48.34 km/h)
    Lotus 111R: 26.38 secs (49.13 km/h)
    Clio Cup: 27.86 secs (46.82 km/h)
    Liberty GT: 28.29 secs (45.82 km/h)
    Accord Euro: 28.39 secs (45.66 km/h)
    Last edited by aaronng; 27-02-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Omotesando
    I actually think the handling test wasn't conclusive enough because after turning in quick with the Euro, even though its very well balanced, you cannot apply more throttle until way after the apex unlike the Integra Type S and Type R, otherwise the inside wheel pushes it understeer. That is major difference between it and the Type S when I test drove them side by side.

Perhaps I'm asking too much from a family sedan though
    I found a way around that problem. Throttle control. I can only do 1/3, 2/3 and full throttle though. I need to practice more so that I can apply smaller fractions to maximise acceleration out of the corner while avoiding wheelspin.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    The skidpan test doesn't involve putting a huge amount of throttle down. What you do is get the car going in a circle, with adequate throttle. You increase the speed slowly until you reach a limit and you get higher Gs by going faster in a circle of a fixed diameter. In this test, throttle is just adequate to maintain the speed and not accelerate. So an LSD won't help in this test. Instead, it is chassis stability that decides the result. But remember, good chassis stability can mean sluggish turn in as well.

If you want a test for cornering and throttle application at the same time, you have to look at the slalom test.

Slalom: (fastest to slowest)
    EVO IX: 26.05 secs (49.76 km/h)
    Boxster: 26.15 secs (49.57 km/h)
    STi: 26.25 secs (49.38 km/h)
    MX-5: 26.29 secs (49.30 km/h)
    M3: 26.79 secs (48.38 km/h)
    350Z: 26.81 secs (48.34 km/h)
    Lotus 111R: 26.38 secs (49.13 km/h)
    Clio Cup: 27.86 secs (46.82 km/h)
    Liberty GT: 28.29 secs (45.82 km/h)
    Accord Euro: 28.39 secs (45.66 km/h)

Yep I agree completely. In Skid-pan test, throttle is fairly constant. So this is mainly a test of Chassis balance more than traction out of corners. I would think an LSD would help slightly since you can go around faster than without, which means more acceleration towards the centre of the circle and thus the car/tyres would experience more lateral G-force countering that?

I only read the Mag in the newsagent, did not realise that the Liberty GT was slightly faster around the slalom than the Euro Accord- obviously this would have to do with power difference as well. But like you said Slalom test actually tells a bit more about the car's characteristic.

The Lotus 111R being slower than the MX-5, STI, EVO and Boxster in the Slalom test however is strange. MX-5 only 0.01G more lateral grip, and less power, but Lotus being so much lighter should have helped in the slalom being more agile.

I have driven a Lotus Elise before and thought it was like a go-kart compared to anything else I have driven. Whereas the EVO/STI are heavy beasts that needs time to react, relatively speaking. INTERESTING!