Question Thinking about buying 2000 DC2R - Question about the 'Red Key'

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards here, seems like there's a lot of useful info in here

I've just a question that's been bugging me a bit, currently i've been looking at buying a DC2R. I've found one that's in quite good condition and it is a 2000 model. Now the question is that the owner (He's the 2nd owner) didn't know what i was talking about when i asked whether he still had the red key that's for the immobiliser. The car is fitted with an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry although i'm not if the immobiliser is also aftermarket. The 'spare' he had was just a normal naked key.

Is the missing red key going to become a problem for me if i end up needing a new key set due to loss or something??

Truth is i'm not entirely sure when the 'red key' was not used anymore by Honda for their immobilisers, maybe the 2000 DC2R didn't have one to begin with??

Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance

Ps. Sorry bout the long post I did do a few searches but it didn't seem to find a topic anywhere discussing this. Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra *True* R
    The red key is the immobilizer "learning" key. If you use it, it will essentially de-program your immobilizer and your current keys will no longer work.

With the new style immobilizer system, this key is used to reprogram your car's immobilzer (you can't do this without it). As far as I know, 99 and up Integra's use this system.

Edit: Next time pick the blue key.
    Last edited by r`Geno; 06-03-2006 at 12:00 AM.
    For Sale: Sold

I have 2000 model DC2R and I have only two keys, one spare and one that I use.
    I am not sure if I have standard honda alarm and central locking but it's all working ok

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by r`Geno
    The red key is the immobilizer "learning" key. If you use it, it will essentially de-program your immobilizer and your current keys will no longer work.

that is absolutly not true

Member Array
    Car:
    GSi
    I got given the red key in its original packaging. Never opened up. And the 2 normal keys for the car.
    .: I Heart Honda :.

I also got my red key in the original packaging with 2 normal keys. I believe that even tho an after market alarm has been install the original immobiliser will still be there, as its is difficult to bypass the original immobiliser. I think you'll be able to figure out if its working or not, when you switch off the engine and pull the key out a green key symbol will flash on the dash near the tacho. Well thats how it works in mine (and ive got an after-market alarm).

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    i was told that if u lost both your black keys you couldnt get a new one cut just from the ignition barrel and that u needed your "red" key?
    Boosted Integra underway!

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by spardikis
    i was told that if u lost both your black keys you couldnt get a new one cut just from the ignition barrel and that u needed your "red" key?
    yeah thats right

you must have 1 black key and the red key to be able to make more genuine key copies.

if you loose both black keys. your in the crapper
    if you loose your red key, your in the when you want to make a copy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    I got one red and one black with my DC2R. Not having the red key might make life harder for you but surely not impossible...

- Andrew

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    btw, you can use the red key to unlock / lock your doors and it wont affect the cars ignition.

I accidently locked my keys in the ignition and the alarm armed itself on me when i was putting air in my tyres ( closed doors) so I had to go home and get the red key to get back in

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    yeah mines a 99 and i have a red key..no fkn idea what its for i forgot..but i beleive its good to have it