Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    hey guys..

just a quick question. with my dc5-r, how strong are the engines? I'm not talking about turbocharging or anything else.. just normal, with slight filter and exhaust mods. Cause I have been pushing it quite a bit recently (damn filter :P) and just worried if I overstressed the engine?

I heard ppl saying vtec engines were designed to rev high and can take plenty before needing some work, but just wanted more opinions? Cause apparently our engines are not as strong as the jdm version. :roll:

honda's are built to sit on the redline all day long. If your car breaks down, i'll be very, VERY surprised. It should be covered by Honda warranty anyways. Just make sure that you warm up/warm down the engine before some spirited driving

ok thx

yeh, I always warm it up in the mornings and let it idle for a while before shutting it down after a spirited run

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    do an oil and filter change more often... only use clean petrol
    How many Kms on the engine??

arr.. around 2,600km now

Member Array
    Car:
    SLOCAR
    rofl mine is near 1,000,000

2,600??? or 26,000? if only 2,600... you should be not vtecing until you have run the engine in ie at least 5000km... even the stupid dealers tell you this... must be cautious

I was careful with my ITR not to go over 4 to 5 grand until 5000km... VERY hard hahaha

but if was a typo and its 26K then no worries mate...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    The non Honda
    The recommended is 1500k, so i have been told by allot of mechanics/ dealers.... Cause i was worried as hell when i got my r

Quote Originally Posted by type one
    2,600??? or 26,000? if only 2,600... you should be not vtecing until you have run the engine in ie at least 5000km... even the stupid dealers tell you this... must be cautious

I was careful with my ITR not to go over 4 to 5 grand until 5000km... VERY hard hahaha

but if was a typo and its 26K then no worries mate...
    WTF. is urs a dc2 or dc5? cause I was told and have read that my engine has been pre-run in in japan, and there's no need to run it in for 5k's. I was told it's fine after 1,000km. i hope that's the case..

btw - my car is 2months old so yes.. 2,600km's. not 26,000kms.

dont worry too much about it chee bye, there even debate as to how the engine should be worn in as in hard or slow driving to wear it in, i mean think about how the engines pistons rings should be seated as high rpm cmopared to low rpm work, and to see how the seating would be affected if it were never driven hard to seat in the first palce?

hey dude..

yeh I know about all that running-in methods. like during the run-in period, you should give it a bit on and off and redline maybe once during that period to ensure the piston rings seal properly.

what I wanted to know was how durable are the engines if constantly driven @ high rpm, cause I don't wanna do anything stupid, esp on a new car :roll:

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2R
    yeah, there is lots of opinions about running in cars.
    some people say to drive it slow for 5000kms, some say new cars are pre-runned in...