98 EK Sedan Rear Door latch noise

Hey all,

Just wanted to pass something past everyone on here, I have a metal tapping noise comes from the door latch assembly when i go over bumps and just seeying if anyone has encountered it and has a fix for it. Ive searched around the net, without much luck and over the weekend with a mate, we took the door skins off, and had a look, and we thought it may have been the inner handle or lock rod tapping (sounded like it), but it wasnt it. If we rock the car up and down it doesnt do it. We even tried locking the doors to see if that eliminates it and it didnt, the noise persisted. Ive even had my mechanic, sitting in the boot, while driving and definately says coming from the door. The doors shut solidly and fine..So if anyone knows the workings of the door latch, please share your knowledge.. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Astro.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrodice
    Hey all,

Just wanted to pass something past everyone on here, I have a metal tapping noise comes from the door latch assembly when i go over bumps and just seeying if anyone has encountered it and has a fix for it. Ive searched around the net, without much luck and over the weekend with a mate, we took the door skins off, and had a look, and we thought it may have been the inner handle or lock rod tapping (sounded like it), but it wasnt it. If we rock the car up and down it doesnt do it. We even tried locking the doors to see if that eliminates it and it didnt, the noise persisted. Ive even had my mechanic, sitting in the boot, while driving and definately says coming from the door. The doors shut solidly and fine..So if anyone knows the workings of the door latch, please share your knowledge.. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Astro.
    Often it does have to do with the door handles. There is a metal cable that connects the lock to the door. Usually what happens is that metal cable moves around when you are driving. If this is the case then there are two fixes. Firstly add some tape around the section that bends back into the door lock (hope that makes sense? If not let me know).

The second fix is to grab a bit of padding foam and stick it to the door in between the door and the metal rod. This provides some padding and stops the metal rod connecting with the metal door.

Hope that helps - if not let everyone know.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Thanks Zdster, will check it out over the weekend and report back with a progress report. Thanks for the quick response.