Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Bags/struts

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    91SuzySierra77LollaRolla

Air Bags/struts

hi guys, i've been lookin around for air bags for my coupie and i was wondering if many of you guys know much about them, i know you can buy them as a straight fit but i was wondering on prices as well. i aint got much of a budget (say 1000 ). i'm a bit experienced in pneumatics and i can read the drawings etc. brackets etc r simple so i can make them. its just the main cylinders, solinoids, hose and tank etc. thanks

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    i would also like to know if airbags affect ur ride quality? and how they actually work in terms of the switches that are on the control box unit
    *sorry to hijack, but i didnt see it necessary startin a new thread as u made one already *

like i know they can be manipulated, i.e make the ride go up and down, but is there a setting where u can put it so that it looks good (i.e no wheel gap) for everyday driving?
    and also, where do you hide the 3/5 gallon tank? in your boot? wat if u have a custom sound installation? where to put/hide the tank?

timaay, ur budget of 1000 isnt gonna get u far im sorry to say. airbag sussy costs quite a bit of dosh and the cheapest ive seen is about 3.5K
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Im no expert on this subject, but just to through this info. in. As far as I understand there are very few kits that are actually legal within Australia. I guess you could always have a system engineered, but I have only heard of a few that are out of the box legal.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Um, wrong thread.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic 93 hatch
    Not sure dudes. I assume the lower you go, the rougher the ride. Having a car sitting on the floor looks hot so who gives a sh*t about the ride quality, u can always jack it up at the flick of a switch. Im also looking around for air suspension for my 93 civic hatch, if you end up getting any info keep me posted....

In all seriousness, would it be practical to spend $2K + on a car thats worth $12K? let alont $7K for the 93 hatch? I know "each to their own" blah blah blah... but for that price u can get some good coilovers that can slam and potentially be less of a hassle to maintain PLUS easier to resell. It woudl probably be better for track work as well.

Let me put it this way.

Air suspension is a VERY tight legal feild of modifications.

Here is some quick info ive gathered after a court battle with Burnin Customs

- Air struts are illegal
    - Push to connect fittings are illegal
    - Anything that doesnt have an "air spring" and shock is illegal
    - In VIC, and most other states, new law mean you need "auto leveling" computers ($$)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    91SuzySierra77LollaRolla
    who said i was worried bout all these legal issues and track issues. push to connect fitting are a bit stupid any ways as using them in my industry they always pop off.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    You best bet is to get air cylinders or air bags both of them have of the shelf kits or civics.

I have 3/8 inch lines and the ride is smoooth but bumpy, Its like your riding withut no shocks(But there is air cylinder that coem with shock asobors but that =$$$)

1000 grand wont get u no where.

Kits range from2500-4000 not fitted

But i wouldent mix air ride with performane side of things, Its mostly for show not for track racing ect ect.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS300
    Quote Originally Posted by traNce_gl
    You best bet is to get air cylinders or air bags both of them have of the shelf kits or civics.

I have 3/8 inch lines and the ride is smoooth but bumpy, Its like your riding withut no shocks(But there is air cylinder that coem with shock asobors but that =$$$)

1000 grand wont get u no where.

Kits range from2500-4000 not fitted

But i wouldent mix air ride with performane side of things, Its mostly for show not for track racing ect ect.
    Do you still have yours set up to pull dog legs trancegl?

When you have the valves set up to pull dog legs, the comprimise is ride quality.

I run air cylinders with accumulators (shocks) and teh ride is similiar to a stock car, with handling being not too bad (strut braces, polyurethane bushes, and swaybars help tighten up the handling also) but like trance gl stated its mostly for show.

As stated by everyone here you need at least 3-4k.

There arent 2 many areas were you can cut costs man unless you want to compromise the performance, ride quality, handling of the air setup.

Log onto www.streetsourcemag.com they have a wealth of info on that forum, and you shall be able to seek out more answers on there compared to ozhonda, where there is a small % of owners running on air.

Stephen there are auto levelling kits available so that when you start the car, it raises or lowers to the driving height, but I have heard these things are a pain in the arse to setup and arent all that reliable.

It just takes practice, and by using the pressure guages mounted inside the cabin to determine the ride height.

Member Array
    Car:
    civic coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by smoknhothonda
    Do you still have yours set up to pull dog legs trancegl?

When you have the valves set up to pull dog legs, the comprimise is ride quality.

I run air cylinders with accumulators (shocks) and teh ride is similiar to a stock car, with handling being not too bad (strut braces, polyurethane bushes, and swaybars help tighten up the handling also) but like trance gl stated its mostly for show.

As stated by everyone here you need at least 3-4k.

There arent 2 many areas were you can cut costs man unless you want to compromise the performance, ride quality, handling of the air setup.

Log onto www.streetsourcemag.com they have a wealth of info on that forum, and you shall be able to seek out more answers on there compared to ozhonda, where there is a small % of owners running on air.

Stephen there are auto levelling kits available so that when you start the car, it raises or lowers to the driving height, but I have heard these things are a pain in the arse to setup and arent all that reliable.

It just takes practice, and by using the pressure guages mounted inside the cabin to determine the ride height.
    well said...

Disabled Array
    Car:
    dc5
    ow good is the ride quality of these air shocks compared to coilovers?