Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury MY04

[EURO] Luxury HID light-getting yellow ish??

Maybe it's just me.

My euro std HID lowbeam light starting to get looking more yellow, eversince I installed HID in my foglight (eventhought i dont turn the fog on)
    Can anyone post the picture of their euro luxury with the low beam on?

Cheers guys

ps: pictures with ur camera flash on

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    happens to mine too .. even tho mine is aftermarket... but everyone else still says its bright as hell.. maybe its just my head

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    On left was the standard HID & on the right when i change the bulb to 8000K.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury 5AT05
    Quote Originally Posted by |N|
    happens to mine too .. even tho mine is aftermarket... but everyone else still says its bright as hell.. maybe its just my head
    Don't rule that out!
    Try driving in a non-hid car for a while and see how that works out

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Legend KA9
    xenon bulbs go thru a process known as colour shift, it happens on new xenon bulbs. The more 'yellow' it goes the more light it produces, also please stay away from those 8000k trash bulbs stick with your OEM Philips burners.

Regarding Colour Shift - the only way Xenon bulbs are suppose to go is UP - which is shifting towards the blue spectrum...

IN this sense, it will become less brighter over time. You can always see the older BMWs HIDs becoming more bluer due to this explanation.

It shouldn't be possible for it to become more yellow - but if you have HID fog lights, and which they are made in Korea or China or something like that - it is much more likely that it is your fog lights turning more blue (due to crappy light bulbs and premature colour shift) and hence relatively you think the std lights are turning more yellow ?

I'm just guessing here haha!

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Hid bulbs turn more yellow and become less intense as they colorshift with use. Not sure where you got the idea they become more blue or brighter.

pics for proof... brand new d2s bulbs

used, color shifted bulbs... notice the yellow color and lower light output

Also, ideal color temp is about 4300k or so(ironically, right where stock bulbs sit)... after you go above 5k, the light output starts to be seriously compromised in favor of color.

Personally, I have hids to light up the road, not to shine pretty colors, but that's just me.

"Also, ideal color temp is about 4300k or so(ironically, right where stock bulbs sit)... after you go above 5k, the light output starts to be seriously compromised in favor of color. "

Dude I wonder where you get the ideas from actually.
    Firstly by the above quote, you are already contradicting yourself.

Above 5K MEANS more blue.... if you don't understand colour temperature.

2ndly the pictures you have posted, doesn't actually show that the light has become more yellow.

It barely shows that the light output has diminished and hence the camera's inability to capture the 'photo' of the surroundings as clearly. Taking photos at night when light is inadequate, always shows the picture to be more yellow. This is irrelevant to the bulb colour.

HID's bulbs always colour shift towards blue. If you google, you'll know why.

For understanding how HID's colour shift, please take a look here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110556

I used to sell HID Aftermarket kits by the way. That's why I know what I'm talking about

Colour temp goes from Yellow > White > Blue. Brightest to Darkest.

The photo above is misleading unfortunately. A slightly bluer HID bulb isn't in fact that much bluer, as it is still predominantly white but just doesn't light up the floor as much it used to in those conditions.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    yes, it may go yellow->white->blue, but that certainly doesn't get darker from yellow to white. there is a color temp where light output is maximized, and moving in either direction will decrease the lightoutput.

I'm very much aware that above 5k it starts to get blue. And as it gets blue, the light output decreases, more and more. 4100-4300k is going to offer the most light output. Going lower in k towards the yellow will lower light output and going up in k towards blue, etc will lower light output.

The fact that you used to sell aftermarket hid kits isn't really a plus in my mind. Aftermarket hid's that are "designed" to be used in halogen headlights are a horrible product.

I will admit I was wrong about the direction they color shift. It's hard to look at photographic evidence, and just dismiss it though.
    Last edited by saxman; 04-04-2006 at 06:36 PM.

You have raised a point that if you go below yellow - that the light output will also diminish. That is true. I did not want to confuse anyone and mention that because on the market, the bulbs whether halogen or HID will only start from 3800K-4300K or thereabouts and towards the 8000-10000K colour temp - and from this yellow colour Temperature onwards, the light will only decrease in light output intensity.

As for selling aftermarket HID kits - you are also right - I decided not to sell them (despite having a nice profit margin) because like you said, they're illegal.

They're not horrible if used in an oem Halogen Projector style car such as Mazda 6, Euro Accord Standard, or S15 Silvia. They looked and worked really well in these cars.

Unfortunately too many people wanted to buy them in H4 Kits for their MY97-My05 Subaru WRXs, Civics or Liberties and the amount of glare that it produces in Reflective Based Halogen lights was just too much. Not to mention everyone wanted a 6000K to 8000K product which looked too blue. I did not enjoy selling them to these people...

It became really absurd and due to it being illegal, wasn't going to be a long term sale from me - so I just quitted

It is really a shame that some cars such as Oz Spec Liberty, EVO VIII and IX, Mazda 6, etc,. don't have HID lights in them. The amount of light output by the halogen lamp is pretty poor I think the new WRX having HID lights std is a good step forward - but the car looks like a pig nose unfortunately ahha