Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: understeer

Yeah lots of good points being made!

I remember a few years back when some of my friends with either EK4 or the EK9 Type Rs.... thinking that because this is suppose to be one of the best handling and cornering cars in the world - could go into some corners in 3rd gear speed when its a 2nd gear corner, etc,. This is completely stupid.

If you go too fast into any corner, obviously its going to try understeer off the road LOL.

Having said that we cannot assume the driver who started the thread doesn't know how to drive either?

May be his car really needs a bit of tuning But for a Civic Type R to be understeery, something will have to be very wrong with it!

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    If you have so-so tyres, they lose grip at lower speeds. With FF cars, the front wheels both steer and apply power, so they will lose traction earlier than the rear tyres when accelerating in a corner.

Front losing traction while rear maintains traction = understeer

Strut tower brace just stiffens up the chassis. Hence it is more responsive. It won't increase understeer/oversteer unless you stiffen up the front so much and leave the rear soft and twisty.

Front and rear sway bar thickness changes the under/oversteer characteristics. Coilovers will increase the cornering speed limit because the tyres would be kept properly contacted to the ground.
    so you saying i should get bald or mb 50% tread tyres at the rear???

agreed notherless...

minimal knowledge on CTR's (CMIIW) buh assuming similar to ITRs they should already have struts front and rear so best advice is like what most people said...go to driving school (not the one to get your P's from racv ) learn how to drive your car....then drive it hard round a track...then you'll be able to appreciate your car and understand it more. only then will you be able to have an idea of what you need to adjust to suit your style and purchase accordingly....also how you gonna know whats better then stock if you dont know what the best it can do stock is??...

CMIIW = correct me if im wrong

peace out fellows noobz

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by quangsta
    so you saying i should get bald or mb 50% tread tyres at the rear???
    LOL, yup that will give you oversteer. But this kind of oversteer cannot be recovered from. Once your rear steps out, it won't stop. What you want is a rear that will step out when you lift and regains grip when you give partial throttle.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2