Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i know that its recommended to use aftermarket shocks with aftermarket springs

but are springs from spoon, h &r and tein stech designed with the factory shocks in mind?

i'm thinking of aftermakert springs + stock shocks to improve handling until i get enough for some konis

i dont really mind a slightly harsh ride as long as the springs dont break off or soemting when i'm driving

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    I know of some people that have had Spoon Progressives on there stock shocks for a few months with no problems.

But I guess it depends on how old your stock shocks are already IMHO!

As long as it isnt too much of a drop , and thath the springs are progressive - there shouldnt be too much of a problem at all.

Shock life is terribly shortened , once you lower the car too much , and use super stiff "straight" springs..(like kmac etc) - and the shocks will feck themselves quick.

progessive springs should be fine with standard shocks for a while.
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I have lowered springs on stock shocks. Waiting for the shocks to die before getting aftermarket ones. Handling improved greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    As long as it isnt too much of a drop , and thath the springs are progressive - there shouldnt be too much of a problem at all.

Shock life is terribly shortened , once you lower the car too much , and use super stiff "straight" springs..(like kmac etc) - and the shocks will feck themselves quick.
    when you say too much a drop around how much? 2 inches or more?

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddoDC2
    i'm thinking of aftermakert springs + stock shocks to improve handling until i get enough for some konis
    I wouldnt recommend it

the thing is, changing to aftermarket springs with stock shocks usually doesnt improve the handling, and in most cases makes handling worse.

but if its very close to the stock ride height, it won't degrade your shock life too much.

Chris

I had spoon progressives on my stock shocks for about 18 months?? very harsh ride... but i actually though handling wise it was pretty good... of course if you really pushi it you don;t get the right damp (especially on crappy roads) but on flat surfaces its not too much of a problem...

i now have matched spoon shocks... and i haven;t really looked back... plus a good alignment and it will SIGNIFICANTLY improve your handling...

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    simple question: how old are the shocks on the car now?

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    Quote Originally Posted by tanghy
    simple question: how old are the shocks on the car now?
    :nod:

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    I don't think changing springs will give better handling. It will give you less body roll, and as a result potentially more grip, but in general I dont think it improves handling.

you just gotta remember, body roll, grip and handling are 3 independant things, and just got you got more or less of one of them, it doesn't nessasarily mean the other two are going to be altered in a proportional amount.

Chris

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    body roll, grip and handling are 3 independant things, and just got you got more or less of one of them, it doesn't nessasarily mean the other two are going to be altered in a proportional amount.

Chris
    You have contradicted yourself. They are not independant things. Yes they arent proportional - but who said they were?

Reducing body-roll will improve handling.