Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear brakes

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Datsun 1600

rear brakes

hi guys just wondering if you could help me out here, a mate of mine is replacing the rear pads on his ek civic and he wanted to know how to compress the brake pistons in order to fit the new pads which are obviously wider? any help would be great...

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    u can just use a G-clamp to push it in

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    dont worry about the g-clamp if you dont have one. If you do, by all means use it. If you dont have one though, just use a screwdriver to push the piston back, just be careful of the disc and make sure that you have the brake fluid resovouire (spelling?) lid off and be careful of the fluid level as it will most likely overflow.

It is recommended to use a syringe to suck a little of the fluid out of the resovoire, but it isnt always necessary.. just make sure u only do one piston at a time.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Datsun 1600
    yeah tried already but no real luck, any other ideas?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    im just curious, your mate must have an EK4 wouldnt he? (to have discs at rear)
    Also, has he changed the front. The rear's rarely need to be changed as compared to the fronts and most the braking is done at the front.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    sorry to say fellas but you guys have just told him how to damage his rear calipers

you cant use a G clamp or the screw driver method on rear disk brakes,

what you do since you wont have the correct tool

as an aprentice I was to stingy and poor to fork out for one, so I made my own, Ill post a pic of it soon

before the ghetto tool, I usesed long nose pliers and pushed them into the rear caliper piston notches, ( you have to remove the caliper for this ) while turning the piston clockwise, you will see the piston move in, make sure you have the notch in the same spot as when you started as the pad sits in that notch and this is vital to the corect operation to the rear brakes.

you may have to remove some brake fluid from your resivour to allow for the fluid that is being pumped back in.

USE this info at your own risk, I nor OzHonda are not liable for any damage or loss or injuries caused by misinterpritation of this information.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 03-05-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    you need to use a rear caliper screw back tool which is avail for $20xx
    or you can use a big flat head screwdriver and slowly turn the piston back
    be careful not to break yr rubber boot

id pay a bit of dosh to get the correct tool ... it winds back in its not a push piston... most rear calipers are like this...

the proper kit cost like $100 but the cheap ones are about $20

you take the caliper off the hub and put the tool in and wind back anti clockwise.. open up the bleeder so all the old fluid doesnt go back up the hoses to the master cylinder

and makes it easier to turn. then once wound back make sure the pad fits in the slot coz the inside one has a little notch that should sit inside the + section of the piston.

the once finished close off the bleeder .. reattach caliper to hub.. then put more brake fluid in reservoir and bleed brakes .. then should b all good

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    is it clockwise or anti clockwise ????

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    i just used a hell thick and wide wood chisel many times, no probs at all.

u need a clamp for front and even thats not the case all the time
    oh wrd!

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    is it clockwise or anti clockwise ????
    if i remember correctly is rotate CLOCKWISE to shorten piston stroke
    oh wrd!

also use a ring side of a spanner to lessen the effort for u to wind the tool back.