Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG

DIY-Suspension change query

hey guys

im currently changing my suspension on a dc2....from stock to coilovers...

ive taken everything off and move the top housing over to the coilovers..

problem - the nut from the stock shock holding the suspension together when put on the coilovers screws in easily until the thread just begins to show and then the thread spins with the nut so you cannot tighten it anymore...was wondering if that is enough threads to hold the coilovers together...

coilovers are kyb super specials..

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

cheers quang

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    fix your pic to confirm..

it shouldnt jsut spin.. there shoudl be another thread somewhere...any pics?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    there should be a slot to put a allen key in to stop the spinning

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    sorry again about all the question but first timer... =/

blitz - pics later
    tanghy - there was for the stock but not for the kyb coilovers

anyway i eventually got the nut on but it....putting pressure on the suspension and then holding the thread with pillars (yes careful not to ruin the thread) and then i spun the nut in abit more, removed the pillar and use a spanner to hold the thread still whilst tightening the nut....

another question...the top of the suspension sticks on on the front left one more then it doesn on the front right....normal??? ill have photos up tonight to show you..

also the rear swaybar bolt doesnt fit through itr lca...so gotta get another bolt long enough with a nut on the end anyone else had this problem?....hopefully got enough pics to do a write later with pics to explain more clearly....

cheers
    quang

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    we need pix

First, nice choice on shock absorbers.

As said, there should be a hole for an allen key at the top of the shock, otherwise a rectangle type thing which you hold with a shifter or something, then tighten the nut. I dont think the shock wouldnt have either.

You are ment to tighten the nut until the rubber holder between the top plate and the dust cover stops moving freely. This is probably about 4-5 complete rotations down. If its a lock nut it wont come undone once done up that far, but you dont want it all clunking around. It has to be firm, not tight though.

Also, if the swaybar doesnt fit out of the box, replace it, dont "make it fit". As hard as it is to beleive, ive heard MANY cases of swaybars being bent wrong, or the wrong ones being sent. Talk to your supplier

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    ok heres some pics

of the front left suspension

of the front right suspension

if you look closely the thread of the left one is longer than the right one by about 7 threads....was just wondering y this is the case...could be be manufacturers fault??....btw these are dc2r coilovers on a dc2....
    both nuts are tighten fairly tight to not allow any movement of the rubber holder....would you be able to tell weather ive over tightened either of them or something, cause it seems to me that the thread is sitting too high up??

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    did u loosen both springs, screw down the top hat then bring the springs back up?

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    i moved the stock top hat over to the coilovers tightened bolt as much as possible and installed...is that right??

btw ur pm is full

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    email me tanghy@ii.net

they should be equal both sides.

as above, did you actually use spring compressors?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    you don't need compressors for coilovers