Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by iced
    aparently the b20 block is weak than a b16 even.
    i heard its better to use a b18c as a base and get a 2.0L kit for it.
    weaker than a b16??? care to elaborate? and which 2.0L kit are you refering to????

b20 sleeves are thinner than other b series engines due to the larger bore (84mm) compared to b16 (81mm). Because of this they are deemed "weaker". Rev them to buggery, and they could go bang, but rev any engine to bugger and it could also go bang.... The best security for these engines is a good tuner.

jaykaye- spardikis had a b16a head for sale in the for sale forum for about $300, which is a pretty good price.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Beat
    are you planing to do vtec as well or just stock b20?
    ive got a b20 with b18 head in my da9

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 LS Integra
    For now I think im leaning towards just a b20 stock. I guess I could grab a b20 bottom end (or change the rings in my b18 bottom end) and slap on the b16 head but a stock b20 is so much easier and less of a stuff around and SAFER. I guess sometime in the future I could always go vtec.

a B20B stock is a great upgrade on B18A... much more usable torque!

such an easy swap!!!

you can do it yourself easy...

then down the track if you feel like it - add the B16A head for full B20VTEC...

Quote Originally Posted by iced
    aparently the b20 block is weak than a b16 even.
    yes, it is "weaker",

but this is like saying that a panther is weaker than a lion...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 LS Integra
    ok, bringing this thread back!

I paid for my CRV b20b8 engine today! I also bought the wiring harnass and ECU (OBD2). My mechanic (in Smithfield) told me that all he needed was the engine and that he could use my existing wiring harnass and ECU (OBD0) for the conversion (from an LS integra with a b18a).
    I would much rather him put in the new ECU as im sure its got much more features in it and being made for that engine I cant go wrong. He told me not to bother as its not possible (how????) and to stick with my existing ECU. I think he is just saying that to get out of the hassle of changing a wiring harnass.

My question. With the old ECU (made for a 1.8 litre b18a engine) running the new 2.0litre engine wont that cause less fuel to be injected into the cylinders? so the power wont be as much as it should be?
    If I do change the ECU/wiring harnass what else do I need other than the dizzy off the CRV engine (which I dont have atm, ill have to buy it). Would I need the airflow meter? can I use the existing one off my b18a? anything else im missing?

Should I just get them to change the harnass/ECU over to the newer one? or should I do this myself (my knowledge in cars and electronics is pretty good but not excellent and it would be my first time working on the electronics of my car).

Thnx
    Last edited by JayKaye; 09-06-2006 at 02:13 AM.

you *should* get away with it.

using the old harness + old ECU on the new engine will be fine. (you will have to swap the sensors/distributor off your old engine onto the new engine)

BUT - you should use a adjusatable fuel pressure regulator and set the fuel pressure on the dyno for optimal results

so basically - the new engine is exactly the same as your old engine, except for the 84mm bore (old engine is 81mm bore)

becasue it is exactly the same, you just need to connect your car to it the same way your old engine was attached...

you DONT need to "try to make the car fit the engine", but you DO need to "try to make the engine fit the car".

your mechanic sounds like they have the right idea...

just re-read yourt post, you certainly should NOT try to convert your LS integra to OBD2.

thsi is crazy and entirely unneccesary.

for example, i was running my B20VTEC in my 1990 LS with the standard LS integra wiring harness + a few VTEC wires off a OBD0 ecu with a Mugen chip in it plus adjustable fuel pressure regulator...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 LS Integra
    whats so bad about upgrading the ECU from OBD0 to OBD2? As far as I know there are pinouts on the OBD2 which allows you to take readings directly from the ECU. With the OBD0 the only output it has is a flashing red LED talk to me in morse code!
    Isnt the OBD2 more advanced? which to me means it should run more efficient and have more options.

I assumed the engine would run better with what it was designed for. Even though the blocks are similar they are not exactly the same and the head looks very different to me (albeit im no mechanic).

Anyone used the OBD2 ECU for their b18 to b20 swap?

Also, to note. I will be wrecking and selling my old (b18) engine off when the job is done. Including recently machined head

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 LS Integra
    oh, also. What benefit would the adjustable fuel pressure regulator give me?

Im ASSUMING that the old ECU is set up for an 81mm bore and will only inject fuel/air for that size bore but the fuel pressure regulator will allow me to inject more fuel to accomodate for the bigger bore? am I right or completely off??? :P

Quote Originally Posted by JayKaye
    whats so bad about upgrading the ECU from OBD0 to OBD2?

cost + non-compatability with your OBD0 LS integra

As far as I know there are pinouts on the OBD2 which allows you to take readings directly from the ECU.

only with special equipment

With the OBD0 the only output it has is a flashing red LED talk to me in morse code!

no, for OBD2 the code flashes on the dash instead of the ECU so it is still morse code!

Isnt the OBD2 more advanced?

more advanced in terms of emmissions controls, yes.

which to me means it should run more efficient and have more options.

more options? ummmm, no not really.

I assumed the engine would run better with what it was designed for.

no, the engien will run any waysyou tell it to.

Even though the blocks are similar they are not exactly the same and the head looks very different to me (albeit im no mechanic).

head is internally the same.

Anyone used the OBD2 ECU for their b18 to b20 swap?

you are actually asking "has anyone converted their OBD0 LS integra to OBD2"
    see BOLD

the FPR will help add fuel (if it is found via a dyno run to be insufficent)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 LS Integra
    Thanks for the reply

awww so I shouldnt go for OBD2? I was looking forward to upgrading the ECU.

So after the engine has been put in you recommend I get a FPR and take it for a dyno tune? How much would an FPR's set me back and where can I get it from?

Thnx