Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro Sport

1000km oil change - which oil to use?

I rang my Honda dealer who said they use Shell Helix 2 at 1000km service. Or they could use Honda FEO for $30. The dealer does not recommend synthetic oils (ever) - something about the engine not bedding in properly and the temperature protection not being so good.

Now I know oil changes have been discussed at length but I haven't had much experience with the Shell or the Honda FEO stuff.

Any specific recommendations about which is the best semi-synth or if I should run a fully synth this early on in the piece? Price isn't an objection. Just availability within Perth.

I drive an '06 Euro.
    Last edited by tanalasta; 09-06-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 accord h22a
    Go straight for the good stuff ENDLESS MOTOR OIL ,you,ll notice the difference and keeps the engine clean on the inside.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by tanalasta
    I rang my Honda dealer who said they use Shell Helix 2 at 1000km service. Or they could use Honda FEO for $30. The dealer does not recommend synthetic oils (ever) - something about the engine not bedding in properly and the temperature protection not being so good.

Now I know oil changes have been discussed at length but I haven't had much experience with the Shell or the Honda FEO stuff.

Any specific recommendations about which is the best semi-synth or if I should run a fully synth this early on in the piece? Price isn't an objection. Just availability within Perth.

I drive an '06 Euro.
    Run a mineral oil for the 1000km service. You can then change to synthetic for the next one. The most important thing is you stick to 10w-30 or 5w-30, 0w-30, 10w-40, 5w-40 or 0w-40 when you use an oil other than FEO.

What is Shell Helix 2? I don't see it on the website. There are only Shell Helix Ultra, Plus, Super and Multigrade. Why don't you tell them you are bringing your own oil in and get them to subtract the cost of the Shell Helix that they use? Then you go to the parts department yourself, buy Honda FEO for $30 for a 5L bottle and leave it on your front seat.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro [5AT]
    the dealer that i service my car at sydney uses Castrol Magnatec.. supposely its semi-synthetic

but thats for my 60000km servicing, so i wouldnt be too sure what they would sure for 1000km

i did read something in the past about using synthetic oil later in the life of the car... i think i read that at tsx.acurazine.com but i cant remember the exact arguement for that though

i just checked the Shell website and im not if thats semi-syn or mineral but if u had a choice (probably once the engine gathers more Km's), go semi-syn if not full syn

recommendations... im using Mobil-S (10-40w -- i didnt bother with the Castrol stuff since it was overpriced compared to the same thing at SuperCheapAuto) that set me back about 30 bucks, if i had the money i would've gotten Motul 4100 (10-40w) for about 45 bucks

so far so good i guess

Disclaimer: If anythign happens to ur machine, it aint my fault!

i reckon u cant go wrong with either mobil or motul

btw. how much are they chargin you for the Shell Helix?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by h22accord
    Go straight for the good stuff ENDLESS MOTOR OIL ,you,ll notice the difference and keeps the engine clean on the inside.
    Do you have any basis for your advice?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    IMO you should just use Honda FEO for the first ~15,000km, then decide on what to use after that if you want to use Synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    run on mineral for the first 5,000km... just to help the engine to break-in better... the reason for not using full-syn is probably its a bit thin for new engines...
    i put motul mineral oil ( can't remember the name) but its still running strong now (6500km on the clock)

h22accord. i think u misread 1,000km to 10,000km :P

Member Array
    Car:
    94 accord
    ahhh whatever ppl say.. dont listen..

either use the recommended oil (detailed in your honda manual).. depends on weather conditions as well of course but I'd say, vtec's love the full super synthetic.. 10-50
    go hard.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    SMEAGLE... there's no such recommended oil in the user's manual... unless u r talking about the grades... which u have to follow anyway... not either.

i will state this once again, it's not recommended to use full-syn within the first 5,000km or even until 10,0000km... in order to help ur engine to break-in better.... full stop.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEAGLE
    ahhh whatever ppl say.. dont listen..

either use the recommended oil (detailed in your honda manual).. depends on weather conditions as well of course but I'd say, vtec's love the full super synthetic.. 10-50
    go hard.
    LOL, using 10w-50 might void your engine warranty if you have a problem while having that oil in your engine, because the maximum allowed for the euro is 10w-40 or 15w-40!

Sometimes I query if putting in Synthetic early on in the car's life is really that bad?

Well Synthetic and Mineral or Semi-synthetics are similar enough in lubrication. Its just that full synthetic lasts a bit longer before breaking down, not to mention a synthetic has better working temperature range. But...

I wonder if Formula 1 or GP2 engines use mineral oil to break in? :O

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Omotesando
    Sometimes I query if putting in Synthetic early on in the car's life is really that bad?

Well Synthetic and Mineral or Semi-synthetics are similar enough in lubrication. Its just that full synthetic lasts a bit longer before breaking down, not to mention a synthetic has better working temperature range. But...

I wonder if Formula 1 or GP2 engines use mineral oil to break in? :O
    From what I've read from oil analysis done between a mineral and PAO synthetic, they both have the same viscosity, but the synthetic oil itself naturally is more slippery than the mineral oil. So there will be less wear when under stressed conditions. Since a new engine is a stressed condition with parts not yet worn in and the surfaces not "fitted" to each other, mineral oil allows the wear to happen, while synthetics would continue to protect even when the oil film is squeezed to a very thin layer.