Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import a civic?

Import a civic?

This is an age old question for me, i have been told civic type r's cannot be imported because of compliance costs or something. Is this true?

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by chigga
    This is an age old question for me, i have been told civic type r's cannot be imported because of compliance costs or something. Is this true?
    As I understand it, it is not so much due to cost, but rather restrictions on ownership. That being said there are a few running around Australia that have been imported.

Please do a search, as I know that this has been covered on more than one occassion.
    Last edited by Zdster; 13-07-2006 at 06:14 PM.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

I think the CTR doesn't meet the SEVS requirement, I don't know all about SEVS but from memory there are a few requirements, off the top of my head there is:

- Power to Weight Ratio restriction
    - Needs to be special and unique to Australia ie can't have similar models or cars in Australia
    - Must meet the ADR and Safety Regs
    - No Modifications allowed (Mild mods passable but moderate and heavy modded cars are a big no no...)

Well here is a link to help you out here:
    http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s...importing.aspx
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

from what ive heard, u can import modified cars, if u own the car for 3yrs or something, and u can import it through under as a personal import.

eg. u need to own the car in japan for something like 3 years, then you'll be able to import it under your name into australia with mods even, as a personal import.

not exactly sure on it, though... i looked into it when i was thinking of importing a modified car back in the days.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD1, EK4R,
    Quote Originally Posted by BRU51N
    from what ive heard, u can import modified cars, if u own the car for 3yrs or something, and u can import it through under as a personal import.

eg. u need to own the car in japan for something like 3 years, then you'll be able to import it under your name into australia with mods even, as a personal import.

not exactly sure on it, though... i looked into it when i was thinking of importing a modified car back in the days.
    thought it was 1 year not 3. ready to take that claim back though

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    yeah i thought i was one year for personal imports.
    Last edited by matt; 13-07-2006 at 09:35 PM.

i took a guess on the years. hahaehe i knew it was under 3, close enough..

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic
    yeah, and you have to prove residency to I believe..

when i checked up on importing an EG6 last time this is what i found out:

u can't import a civic for the simple reason being that they were sold here in full volume. even tho the eg6 and ek9 wasn't, the same shape was imported in full volume which makes u unable to import one personally. this is unless u've owned the car in japan for 12 months and bring it in as a personal import.

following this, don't ask whey s15's are able to be imported as they were also sold here in full volume. someone else may be able to answer that.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_lee
    following this, don't ask whey s15's are able to be imported as they were also sold here in full volume. someone else may be able to answer that.
    As I understand it, the s15's that were imported, were done so before the Australian s15 was released.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_lee
    when i checked up on importing an EG6 last time this is what i found out:

u can't import a civic for the simple reason being that they were sold here in full volume. even tho the eg6 and ek9 wasn't, the same shape was imported in full volume which makes u unable to import one personally. this is unless u've owned the car in japan for 12 months and bring it in as a personal import.

Yeah, I guess that's why it doesn't satisfy being a 'special' vehicle
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    just a small point, under sevs if a publication "ie magazine" runs a feature story the car sort of becomes eligable because of the public interest in tha
    car, its in the fine print someplace