Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by oms
    hrmm...magnatec is semi-synthetic, cant be too good on a car that is still being run in...

im not sure what im gonna do, my car comes t/m but there is no way in hell im going to wait till 10,000 kays to change my oil!

edit: just spoke to honda servicing, the mechanic said they put magnatec (10w-40) if you request an oil change at 1k. The honda genuine oil is 10w-30SL. He said the "smei-synthetic" oil should be fine but not to use full-syn...

i believe there are a few mineral oils that are rated at 10w-30-40 so might go with that.
    Magnatec 10w-40 is mineral with additives. Magnatec 10w-30 is semi-synthetic.

Semi synthetics are fine. It is a mineral oil with a little additives added.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    jeebus !! firstly WHY is your HONDA dealership using Castrol Magnatec oils ?? That magnatec crap is extremely hard to REMOVE from your engine and besides, your Honda engien is Aluminium so any magnetic properties on alloy are lost.. so basically it's a terrible oil to use in your honda !! think about it.. if that oil has 'special' features which make the oil magically stick to your engine parts (etc) so that on startup it's already protected.. well how exactly are you meant to REMOVE the deposits of dirty oil from your motor when service time ?

Your Honda dealer should ONLY be using Honda FEO (etc) as part of their scheduled service regime !! I'd call Honda Australia if your Honda dealership is using non-genuine parts when servicing their products.

Secondly, if you change your own oil you will most probably void your new-car warranty (IF that's an issue to you)..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C
    jeebus !! firstly WHY is your HONDA dealership using Castrol Magnatec oils ?? That magnatec crap is extremely hard to REMOVE from your engine and besides, your Honda engien is Aluminium so any magnetic properties on alloy are lost.. so basically it's a terrible oil to use in your honda !! think about it.. if that oil has 'special' features which make the oil magically stick to your engine parts (etc) so that on startup it's already protected.. well how exactly are you meant to REMOVE the deposits of dirty oil from your motor when service time ?

Your Honda dealer should ONLY be using Honda FEO (etc) as part of their scheduled service regime !! I'd call Honda Australia if your Honda dealership is using non-genuine parts when servicing their products.

Secondly, if you change your own oil you will most probably void your new-car warranty (IF that's an issue to you)..
    Magnatec is not magnetic...... It has polar additives that are attracted to polar materials such as the aluminium alloy of your engine. Polar forces are weak and when your engine is started and moving, the polar forces are not strong enough to maintain the film and act like a normal engine oil.

You like Motul 300V? It uses the same concept as Magnatec to maintain a film on the engine surfaces.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic vti (a)
    so that means should i request the oil change at 1000km?
    i just serviced it but honda didnt change my oil so should i go bak and ask them to change it?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 - 2006 Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by channon
    so that means should i request the oil change at 1000km?
    i just serviced it but honda didnt change my oil so should i go bak and ask them to change it?

I'm thinking of requesting an oil change at my 1000km's service but I'm thinking of switching over to the the best possible oil - is Honda's "special 06 Civic oil" that special? or what is the recommendation here for the best if money is not an issue?

thanks in advance.

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 - 2006 Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by EK9_boi
    I'm thinking of requesting an oil change at my 1000km's service but I'm thinking of switching over to the the best possible oil - is Honda's "special 06 Civic oil" that special? or what is the recommendation here for the best if money is not an issue?

thanks in advance.

cheers

Hey , can someone please answer my qn here? I'm gonna service the car this Friday and I need the info please! THANKS!!!

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    not a honda
    IMO there really isn't any in point in changing ur oil for the first 1000km. let the engine settle in (its brand new remember.)

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 - 2006 Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob san
    IMO there really isn't any in point in changing ur oil for the first 1000km. let the engine settle in (its brand new remember.)
    This is precisely why a change of oil is healthy for the engine - to flush the engine of metallic dust and debris from breaking in

anyway - Honda oil or something else ppl (bearing in mind that I want the best for my car and $$ is not an issue)? thanks

cheers

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I'd say stick with Honda oil or buy that Civic oil from the parts department and bring it there for them to use. Then at 10,000km go synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    not a honda
    Quote Originally Posted by EK9_boi
    This is precisely why a change of oil is healthy for the engine - to flush the engine of metallic dust and debris from breaking in

anyway - Honda oil or something else ppl (bearing in mind that I want the best for my car and $$ is not an issue)? thanks

cheers
    Dude even the honda dealership donsen't recommed you chaningin the oil at 1000km. you need to let the engine settle down first. when i first checked my dip stick at 1000km it was clear (yes clear.) i though the engine had no oil lol

but then i looked closely at saw that shiny part of the stick which indicated there was oil. i was a little worried so i asked honda what was goin on. they said this is normal because your engine is brand new and it is very clean. i also asked my mechanic and this is normal for new cars.

But then again its ur money and your car so take care of it