Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorr
    i have two suggestions for you and franki.... a) read up on the net or in mags on the clio and b) more importantly drive one!!! youll soon see why they are faster then the tegs in a straight line and around corners (moreso the cup versions)... not to mention they brake better too (quote from wheels mag "the clio's brakes are only second to porshe")... there is a reason why they are known as the "type r killers"
    I mean I have no doubt that the Clio RS has capabilities, and is at the top of its game in the hot hatch category in terms of performance and for bucks, but to state that they will kill Type R's in straights, corners and underbrakes is a big statement to be making IMHO, and your sources are from the net and magazines? I'm not saying that the tegs are invincible, thats far from what i'm saying but don't talk from the third person as it doesn't mean anything in reality...and why do Clio drivers always compare their cars to our Hondas? because Hondas are better cars, otherwise you would not be comparing it to the tegs. The only positive I can see from the Clios are their bang for bucks...but there is a tradeoff in design (my opinion) and their poor built quality. Personally I don't look twice for Clios when I'm on the road, as I don't eat bait.

my 2 cents
    Last edited by Speeder; 13-08-2006 at 11:04 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    GD3 honda jazz VTIS
    hmmm clio sport, there are pretty fast. I was driving a stock accord-Euro 6 speed manual one day about may 2006. A flat blue clio sport (black alloys) zoom past me and i got pissed off and give it a run, at about 70km/h enter on a "C"-shape corner and about 90km/h out into a straight at 2nd gear 105km/h, 3rd gear 150ish km/h and about 180km/h on fourth slowing down.......both the euro K24A engine and stock clio sport 4wd turbo comes Par-to-par. It was a good run and i was amaze how good the FF Euro handle on the corner <VSA obviously is On>

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Lol this thread had came back alive...

Ok... I've owned Clio RS and ITR and what i can tell you at the moment is, clio got better handling, balance and power than ITR comparing stock to IHE, ecu, cf bonnet ITR.

Same driver cos that was me

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by GD3-typeR
    hmmm clio sport, there are pretty fast. I was driving a stock accord-Euro 6 speed manual one day about may 2006. A flat blue clio sport (black alloys) zoom past me and i got pissed off and give it a run, at about 70km/h enter on a "C"-shape corner and about 90km/h out into a straight at 2nd gear 105km/h, 3rd gear 150ish km/h and about 180km/h on fourth slowing down.......both the euro K24A engine and stock clio sport 4wd turbo comes Par-to-par. It was a good run and i was amaze how good the FF Euro handle on the corner <VSA obviously is On>
    This was obviously on a race track....

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by GD3-typeR
    Be careful when posting speeds that you have run. This is the technical section and is open to everyone on the internet without needing to register. I'm sure cops would be reading the forums.

BTW, the Clio sport has a 2.0L I4 NA engine and is FWD. No turbo. No way can you overtake a Clio Sport that is trying with an Euro on the straight. A stock 2002 Clio sport with 124kW does 0-100 in about 7.0 seconds. Official renault time is 7.3 seconds. The current Clio Sport pushes 131kW instead and brings 0-100 to under 7 seconds. Put the Clio Cup into the equation with its sports suspension, it's in DC5R territory.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    here is a comparison i found on carsales.com, that compares the Integra Type S and the Clio and the Mini Cooper S, and it states that "Up to 100km/h, the Integra eyeballs the Clio, but with 23kW more power and tighter gearing, it then surges ahead" so the integra IS faster than the Clio and looks a million times better IMO.

here is the link http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/ce7168.aspx

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002 TeGgY
    so the integra IS faster than the Clio and looks a million times better IMO.

cause everything on the net is 100% truth!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    cause everything on the net is 100% truth!
    hey man, carsales.com get their reviews from wheels magazine which is a reliable source.
    Article by Wheels magazine
    Words: Nathan Ponchard
    Photos: Christian Brunelli
    First published May 2005

As an ex Honda owner, now Clio owner I can't possibly offer a bias opinion

I bought a second hand Clio Sport from a dealer a month ago. 56,000k's $18,500 on the road. Considering the features and performance, nothing comes close to it. 2nd hand Type R's were running about about $25,000.

The pull in 1st gear is phenomenal and off the line will do slightly modded Skyline's and WRX. For an FF car it just sticks to the road. Forget the fact that the Integra as VTi. The Renault has it's own and in my opinion the change in cams is just as vicious. But you don't need to work it close to the redline to get the most out of it. There is great performance within the whole rev range. 200Nn comes in at about 5400rpm-5400rpm whereas the ITR 192Nm @ 6000rpm-6000rpm....I don't see how an ITR will clip a Clio up a hill especially considering the ITR weighs at least 100 extra KG's on the Clio

Handling i'm not too sure about because I'm still getting used to the car but from the below Top Gear lap times, clearly the Clio is above the Civic Type R, which I'm led to believe is significantly quicker than an ITR?? Correct me if not.

1. 1:33.8 – Renault Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup
    2. 1:33.9 – Holden Monaro2
    3. 1:34.5 – Ford Mondeo ST220
    4. 1:34.9 – Ford Focus ST4
    5. 1:35.0 – Volvo S60 R
    6. 1:35.1 – Volkswagen Golf GTI
    7. 1:35.2 – Ferrari 575M Maranello3,5
    8. 1:35.3 – Vauxhall Vectra VXR
    9. 1:35.6 – Alfa Romeo 147 GTA
    10. 1:35.6 – Lotus Elise2
    11. 1:36.2 – Aston Martin V12 Vanquish3,5
    12. 1:36.2 – Renaultsport Clio V63
    13. 1:36.5 – Honda Civic Type-R
    As for reliability, considering everything is auto this and auto that, issues are bound to arise. But in reality you are only ever going to hear about the things that go wrong, never what goes right. There are plenty of Clios out there that never give any problems *touch wood*

As a complete product the Clio stands out. It's pretty hard not to with the standard Xenon's beaming in your eyes And with Renault doing as well as they are doing in the F1 (yes, yes...button won the last race) the credibility of the engineering that goes into these cars is without question. And the fact that there aren't that many Clio's around gives it a cult status.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 TeGgY
    here is a comparison i found on carsales.com, that compares the Integra Type S and the Clio and the Mini Cooper S, and it states that "Up to 100km/h, the Integra eyeballs the Clio, but with 23kW more power and tighter gearing, it then surges ahead" so the integra IS faster than the Clio and looks a million times better IMO.

Therer is SOOOOO much more to a car than just straight line speed FFS. Read on...

"If you're chasing a car for all seasons, very little can out-smart a Renaultsport Clio 182. It won't cause fashion-victim advertising types to froth at the mouth, but it has the dynamic poise, fluency of movement, and interconnectedness that separates the good from the genuinely great driver's cars. And, at $32,990, it's incredible value. Let's just pray that next year's all-new model doesn't mess with the formula. In the meantime, the inspired Clio 182 is still the daddy."

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I agree with your off the line acceleration vs WRX. Because I have heard with my own ears a WRX driver praising the 130kW version of the Clio Sport on straight line acceleration. He claimed that the Clio Sport pulled away from him and he was expecting to eat up the baby hatch. LOL
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by berniebern
    As an ex Honda owner, now Clio owner I can't possibly offer a bias opinion

I bought a second hand Clio Sport from a dealer a month ago. 56,000k's $18,500 on the road. Considering the features and performance, nothing comes close to it. 2nd hand Type R's were running about about $25,000.

The pull in 1st gear is phenomenal and off the line will do slightly modded Skyline's and WRX. For an FF car it just sticks to the road. Forget the fact that the Integra as VTi. The Renault has it's own and in my opinion the change in cams is just as vicious. But you don't need to work it close to the redline to get the most out of it. There is great performance within the whole rev range. 200Nn comes in at about 5400rpm-5400rpm whereas the ITR 192Nm @ 6000rpm-6000rpm....I don't see how an ITR will clip a Clio up a hill especially considering the ITR weighs at least 100 extra KG's on the Clio

Handling i'm not too sure about because I'm still getting used to the car but from the below Top Gear lap times, clearly the Clio is above the Civic Type R, which I'm led to believe is significantly quicker than an ITR?? Correct me if not.
    1. 1:33.8 – Renault Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup
    2. 1:33.9 – Holden Monaro2
    3. 1:34.5 – Ford Mondeo ST220
    4. 1:34.9 – Ford Focus ST4
    5. 1:35.0 – Volvo S60 R
    6. 1:35.1 – Volkswagen Golf GTI
    7. 1:35.2 – Ferrari 575M Maranello3,5
    8. 1:35.3 – Vauxhall Vectra VXR
    9. 1:35.6 – Alfa Romeo 147 GTA
    10. 1:35.6 – Lotus Elise2
    11. 1:36.2 – Aston Martin V12 Vanquish3,5
    12. 1:36.2 – Renaultsport Clio V63
    13. 1:36.5 – Honda Civic Type-R
    As for reliability, considering everything is auto this and auto that, issues are bound to arise. But in reality you are only ever going to hear about the things that go wrong, never what goes right. There are plenty of Clios out there that never give any problems *touch wood*

As a complete product the Clio stands out. It's pretty hard not to with the standard Xenon's beaming in your eyes And with Renault doing as well as they are doing in the F1 (yes, yes...button won the last race) the credibility of the engineering that goes into these cars is without question. And the fact that there aren't that many Clio's around gives it a cult status.
    I don't know where you got the lap times, but they were wrong.

check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5gcN_ePBQ&mode=related&search=

The Top gear show itself...
    Civic Type R clocking 1.32.8
    Golf GTI clocking 1.33.7

There's another video of Tiff driving the clio and EP3 civic in a short track on Fifth gear. It clearly shows that the EP3 has better dynamics than the clio...

I do like the clio too, but saying that it's faster than a Type R point to point anytime is just not true...The lap times don't lie, being in Wakefield so many times with really good drivers behind the wheel of the clio 182 (even with semi slicks tyres), I really haven't seen anyone clocking any time quicker than 1.14.15 (this is my street tyres fitted stock DC2R's lap time)
    The clio driver, a frd of mine, found that the Type R goes harder in the corner too, he also owns a DC2R before.

Just go to the track where you can drive 100% to test it properly.